Talk

Advanced search

my just turned 11 yr old dd came home with these books from Asda and im not too sure

(7 Posts)
biglips Fri 02-Oct-15 22:38:47

1) my secret rockstar boyfriend by Eleanor wood
2) fangirl by rainbow rowell

My dd is a very advanced reader but are these too old for her or about right before I let her read them tmrw...

Sadik Sat 03-Oct-15 17:31:06

Don't know no.1..
Fangirl is very good, but IMO possibly not for a just turned 11 year old (would definitely be fine for a yr 7 who's 11 going on 12, I'd think). It's about a very shy girl going to college, and gradually coming out of her skin, acquiring a boyfriend etc. IIRC there is a (fairly minimal) sex scene, though an 11 yo might not notice it, and it's all very sweet.

Sadik Sat 03-Oct-15 17:32:00

I think at this age, 'advanced reader' kind of doesn't help, as it's very much about content rather than reading ability, IYKWIM.

biglips Sat 03-Oct-15 21:36:37

Thank you.... I had a look online this morning. I'm ok with no 1 as its a children book but no 2 is for young adults..... I had a quick read and it was oookkk.

Sadik Sun 04-Oct-15 08:42:19

Stick it away for a year or so, and she'll love it!

cariadlet Wed 14-Oct-15 20:36:56

My dd is 13 and bought fangirl about a year ago. I skimmed through it and put it on top of a high bookcase as I didn't think it was appropriate. She's forgotten all about it, and I'm going to leave it there for another couple of years.

emmaMBC Wed 21-Oct-15 10:17:41

Fangirl is a great book, well written and hugely popular, however it is definitely aimed at a older market. I think a younger reader would not relate to it. These books would be more suited to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now