Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

History Story Books for Preschoolers

(3 Posts)
BestZebbie Tue 01-Sep-15 17:22:25

Can anyone recommend any good story books for preschoolers that are mostly historically accurate and deal with any time period between the Jurassic and Queen Victoria inclusive? British-related history only (eg: not lives of the US Presidents etc).
For example, Stone Age Boy = good, involves time travel but then reasonable depiction of stone age life, but Cave Baby = not great, involves sentient mammoths kidnapping and returning babies to decorate for them, Flintstones = terrible, too many dinosaurs.
I am looking for picture books which could be read out by an adult in ten minutes or less, to include in a pack of resources for 0-5 year olds in a social history museum.

emmaMBC Mon 07-Sep-15 18:09:07

Ooooo yes, take a look at Toby and the Ice Giants - sounds perfect for your needs. Emphasis is very much on factual information re the Ice Age, presented incredibly well. Great for reading out loud. Oh, and it is a gorgeous book!!!

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 10-Sep-15 06:10:44

I think 0-5 year olds are okay with the fantasy elements of what you describe. Even in a museum. Tou could include a 'spot the anachronism' card in the pack, to draw attention to the fact that dinosaurs did not, actually steal underpants. Oh, and they didn't co-exist with cavemen either.

Our local museum has a great little exhibit of a Devon longhouse, complete with wooden people and animals. It has cards showing what would be going on at different points in the day/ year. My children used to play with it for ages as preschoolers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now