Talk

Advanced search

Books recommendation for DD age 12

(7 Posts)
Oxfordblue Mon 10-Aug-15 22:00:54

My dad would like to read Paper Towns by John Green & Girl Online by Zoe Sugg. I've had a quick look but I feel they're a bit old for her.

Any suggestions for trendy but more suitable books ? She's not a big reader at all, so wondering to let her try the above.

A friend of hers was reading Butter by Erin Lange which is around obesity/bullying/friendship. Also I don't really want her filling her brain with food issues etc as her DGM doesn't have a good relationship with food.

Takver Mon 10-Aug-15 22:38:10

I have to say that both are absolutely standard reading material amongst that age group at dd's school. DD helps in the school library, and she says that Girl Online is the one book that even the non-reading girls all want to borrow. (She did also say it was utter rubbish, mind you grin )

If you're dubious about Paper Towns, what about The Fault In Our Stars, also by John Green - maybe a bit younger in content?

Oxfordblue Tue 11-Aug-15 00:18:25

Just saw I typed my dad..meant my DD !

Thanks - DH & I started to watch a Fault in Stars & again thought this too old for DD..she's a fairly naive girl..& I wouldn't want her reading & being influenced like I was at that age blushwink

schmalex Tue 11-Aug-15 05:46:41

How about something like Geek Girl?

madamehooch Sun 16-Aug-15 15:15:16

Not Butter. It's very good but very dark. If you don't think she's ready for Paper Towns or Girl Online then the content of Butter will be too much.

I would also recommend Geek Girl (clean teen) and also the Girl Missing trilogy by Sophie McKenzie

Booksteensmagazines Tue 18-Aug-15 06:06:54

I agree with Girl Missing series by Sophie McKenzie or Dead Time Series by Anne Cassidy.

SavoyCabbage Tue 18-Aug-15 06:21:02

My 11 year old has just demolished the 'Geek Girl' books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now