Talk

Advanced search

Share your toddler's funny mixed-up descriptions to win a gorgeous Little Mouse hamper

(129 Posts)
EmilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Aug-15 11:42:47

When little children begin to expand their horizons, the results are often hilarious and make a surprising amount of sense - mustard tastes "spiky", radiators are "radiheaters". This week we're asking you what funny things your DC has got mixed up about, for a chance to win a Little Mouse hamper.

In The Mouse Who Reached the Sky, Little Mouse sees something red and shiny hanging from a tree and thinks it’s a marble, but Mole is sure it’s a balloon and Rabbit says it’s a ball! Petr Horáček perfectly captures the adorable mix-ups children make when they are small, in a charming story to be shared time and time again.

Download the How To Draw Little Mouse activity sheets here and here , and watch the How to Draw Little Mouse video here:

Share your sweet stories for the chance to win this gorgeous Little Mouse hamper including three Little Mouse books by Petr Horacek, activities, stickers and a signed, limited edition Little Mouse print for your child’s bedroom.

This competition is sponsored by Walker Books, and closes on Tuesday 1 September.

MrsRedWhite214 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:12:39

My son mixes up airplane and helicopter for airplanecopter. It's very cute, but we can have arguments for hours trying to correct him.

pipps Mon 03-Aug-15 17:25:31

My nephew described a stray peppercorn that had ventured into his mouth along with a spoonful of home made soup as something naughty in my mouth. Very funny and a family favourite ever since!

keriku Mon 03-Aug-15 17:31:55

When my niece was younger she commented on my mum's "frinkles". My mum is now 75 and has never had any wrinkles, only frinkles!

mammaof4girls Mon 03-Aug-15 17:39:47

My 3 year old invented her own word "yope" which she uses for yes and no which makes life very confusing!
All planes are referred to as fleebees because one of her older sisters described a plane as a flybe plane.
All of my children, including my 10 and 8 year old, refer to the dining room as the diming room, at one point it was the diving room.
Lollypops are called babbles which no one understands where it came from but even the adults ask for babbles in the shop and get confused expressions from people!
Last one is my 3 year olds dumbo comfort blanky/teddy is called boy'o because thats how she said dumbo. We all call him that now!

TheyGotTheMustardOut Mon 03-Aug-15 17:41:00

My favourite is when my son asks for a cuggle, he does use hug and cuddle do he knows the words but a cuggle is special and we both love it.

vvviola Mon 03-Aug-15 17:44:04

DD was very pleased to visit her aunts house because she has a "Jumptiline" (trampoline)

She also likes the "up-su-lators" at the shopping centre. (She's not quite so keen on the "down-su-lators". The whole family calls escalators by those names now, much to outsiders amusement!)

RingInTheNew Mon 03-Aug-15 17:46:01

My toddler says 'lobstercle course' and 'scuba driver' (screw driver). We hate to correct him because these words are so much more entertaining than the mundane correct versions!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 03-Aug-15 17:52:28

At about 18 months old when dd was starting to put words together she wanted to have a cuddle from her dad but couldn't manage each word... so "daddle" was born. Dd still has daddles although they have been extended to the rest of us and she can speak properly.

The Hokey Cokey is "The Oagie Bogie" according to dd and she's also started talking "in French" (Joey from Friends style). She's nearly 3.

Chellemum78 Mon 03-Aug-15 18:38:28

When my daughter spins round she says she's busy instead of dizzy. My son used to call the Harry Potter book Harry Potter and the prisoner of az kebab!

red23 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:04:08

My 3 year old daughter insists on calling love hearts , clump hearts. My son was telling us all about his new nursery ' They make you wear an apricots when you want to paint or play in water.' Two of my favourites from a list of many.

museumum Mon 03-Aug-15 20:05:54

My 2yr old gets see saws and rocking horses a bit confused, which is fair enough. But when he met a real horse (well, Shetland pony) he insisted on calling it a seesaw smile

FarelyKnuts Mon 03-Aug-15 20:10:36

We still have a merote control for the TV and get tilted head question of "are you being sartastic at me mama" at age 5.

lottietiger Mon 03-Aug-15 20:26:55

My little boy, aged two and a half is very excited about the upcoming festive season and "Farmer" Christmas coming to give him presents!! We keep explaining that its father not farmer but he won't have it...absolutely cracked me up the first time he said it! smile

CheeseEMouse Mon 03-Aug-15 20:33:38

My daughter was in her room and pointing at the air saying "bubble! Bubble!". I then realised that the shaft of light was highlighting the little dust particles that she then thought were bubbles....

She also thinks helicopters are called hicopts, which I think is sweet

sealight123 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:33:39

My daughter is really into pirates at the moment. She keeps calling golden doubloons, 'Gowan Bawooms' :P

Little swashbuckler!

RhinosAreFatUnicorns Mon 03-Aug-15 20:39:03

Things misappear rather than disappear in our house and we have a bouncealine rather than a trampoline. Both make more sense to me smile

starlight36 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:44:13

'Daddy is blowing the horn with his buggy' was DD's description aged three of her father cutting the grass in the garden.

The 'library' is used by DS to describe DVD cases and 'My walk' is his name for his rucksack which has reins on the back.

Thegentlemonkey Mon 03-Aug-15 20:50:54

DS had 'bugs day' at nursery when he misheard Inset Day as Insect Day - took me a while to figure that one out!

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Mon 03-Aug-15 20:52:29

My DD complains about pins and noodles in her feet. I will never be the one to correct her!

JoshMum Mon 03-Aug-15 20:58:48

Technology moves on but toddlers' funny sayings are timeless - DS2 currently asks to watch dinosaurs on the 'PiTad' (iPad) grin

PandasRock Mon 03-Aug-15 20:59:05

Ds (just 3) has coined his own class of bird - a "rink"

Originally it was a mispronunciation of flamingo, but it has persisted.

So far, we have determined that flamingos, swans, ostriches and emus are all "rinks", so it is clearly a name for a long necked bird. He knows all the names, but will class them all as rink, ie

"Ds, what's this?"

"A flamingo. It's a rink"

LuckyCornish13 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:11:53

My DS calls a trampoline "a bounce-Eileen" I really hope he doesn't grow out of it grin

He also calls chocolate brownies "hash brownies" any type of airplane/helicopter is an "airodoctor" calls the 99p store "the 90-90 store" and Wednesday doesn't exist apparently, he will argue relentlessly with me and anyone who says that today is Wednesday (CBeebies what day is it song is always fun on a Wednesdayhmm) and just point blank refuses to accept that Wednesday is a real thing.

Eyre89 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:18:10

My ds calls his Willy Lilly which is better if he decides to shout in public but we always said if we had a dd we'd call her Lilly and he's ruined the name I just couldn't now grin he says it so sweetly as well

He's also started saying pinshuin for penguin

He's only just 18 months so I'm looking forward to seeing what else he will come up with

Itsallaboutme3 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:19:59

I remember when my ds had just started to use the toilet and one day he said "'mummy i am thirsty for the toilet"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: