Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Age to read To Kill a Mockingbird and Wonder?

(10 Posts)
AnonymousBird Fri 17-Jul-15 09:36:36

Just wondered what age you children may have been when they read either of the two books above?

Thanks.

AnonymousBird Fri 17-Jul-15 09:37:03

"your" children, obviously. I can spell!

Jinglebellsarenearlyhere Fri 17-Jul-15 09:37:15

10 for wonder. Haven't done to kill a mocking bird yet

AnonymousBird Fri 17-Jul-15 10:02:07

Thanks. DS is ten, and I figured this age would probably be about right.

titchy Fri 17-Jul-15 10:09:47

12+ for mockingbird imo. He may well not be too aware of the concept of rape, and you really need to have an awareness of the context of the book, and I don't think many primary kids really understand the treatment of black people in southern state usa at that time and now

cornflakegirl Sat 18-Jul-15 22:23:20

I would agree 10 is about right. I read Wonder a couple of months ago, and tried to get DS to read it, but he didn't go for it. Will have to try again, as it is really powerful.

Booksteensmagazines Sat 18-Jul-15 22:33:04

My son was a very good reader and was given To Kill a Mockingbird aged 11 - he told recently (aged 15) that he missed a lot of the story and although he could read it he realised now that he had not fully understood it. I'd wait till 13 so its fully appreciated. Also a fairly tough subject.

Wonder is an easier read - i would give to an 11 year old and I know younger children read it but it does need some maturity to fully understand the topic.

Tryingtokeepalidonit Wed 22-Jul-15 20:49:37

We teach Wonder in Y7 and I think that is a great age for it plus it is a great message as they start a new school. TKAM is wasted before 13, the fact you can read a book doesn't mean it is the right book for you at that age. There is more to reading than mere comprehension.

AnonymousBird Thu 23-Jul-15 09:02:15

Thanks all, I think I agree that TKAM needs to be two or three years down the line.

We will try Wonder!

LadyEnglefield Sat 25-Jul-15 19:13:25

DD1 (10 in November) read Wonder recently & declared it the best book she'd read..even better than Harry Potter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now