11 year old who has rediscovered reading!

(6 Posts)
melonribena Fri 19-Jun-15 19:44:53

My goddaughter has recently got back into reading at the age of 11. Can you recommend any must read books for her age?

I saw the contemporary fiction thread but am also looking for mainstream high school stuff!

DeeWe Fri 19-Jun-15 22:47:54

At 11yo dd1 was very into Henderson Boys or Cherub series by the same person, whose name escapes me. They're a little bit racy though, a certain amount of bad language and stuff. You might want to check first. They're about a school for kids to learn to be spies.

Dd2 is into much more gentle books. Of contemporary ones she likes Jacqueline Wilson or the Olivia flies high (set in a stage school) set.
But she also likes Chalet School, Gwendoline Courtney, Noel Streatfield, many of the classics like Katie did, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, 5 children and it etc.

Booksteensmagazines Sat 20-Jun-15 08:32:15

Girl Missing series by Sophie McKenzie is very popular

Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve - adventure dystopian series

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater fantasy but based in reality

Dead Time series by Anne Cassidy adventure, crime

Leeds2 Sat 20-Jun-15 15:34:29

Ruby Redfort series by Lauren Child

Swallows & Amazons

emmaMBC Tue 23-Jun-15 10:27:02

The Robin Stevens detective series are going down a storm at the moment. A new release for this year, set in Victorian England. Yr 6 students in particular are absolutely devouring them!

daisywellies Tue 07-Jul-15 22:35:49

I would second the Robin Stevens books.

The Clockwork Sparrow is written in a similar vein and is getting rave reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now