Anyone remember this book - teenager becomes nanny to London family

(6 Posts)
EllieQ Mon 15-Jun-15 18:46:35

I'm trying to find a book I read as a teenager (between approx. 1988 & 1995). The main character is called Coral and takes a job as a nanny/ mother's help to a middle-class family in London and falls in love with the father.

I can remember the following:
- It was contemporary - set in the 1980s/ 90s
- Coral likes to imagine herself in Victorian times (she grows up on a council estate and feels like an outsider).
- She was named after the betting shop.
- The job is advertised in The Lady or a similar magazine.
- The father writes writes books/ short stories with characters named after shipping forecast names)
- On her first day she has to go shopping and doesn't know what taramasalata is (neither did I!).
- She ends up making friends with a young single mum and moves in with her and (I think) gets a job in an antiques shop.

If anyone can name this book, I'd be very grateful!

If no-one here can help, the website AbeBooks (a second hand book site) has forums where you can ask this sort of question - the members there helped me track down a book I read as a teenager, but couldn't remember the name of.

Good luck!

EllieQ Mon 15-Jun-15 19:23:56

Thanks, I'll have a look if the Mumsnet mind can't identify this one smile

halcyondays Sun 21-Jun-15 20:45:13

Was this a Jacqueline Wilson book?

halcyondays Sun 21-Jun-15 20:51:38

It's This Girl by Jacqueline Wilson

EllieQ Wed 24-Jun-15 08:00:05

Just looked at it on Amazon and I think that's it - the cover looks familiar. Would never have guessed Jacqueline Wilson - must be one of her early books. Thank you so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now