Talk

Advanced search

Help! Life after Tom Gates...?

(37 Posts)
spiderlight Sat 13-Jun-15 13:14:38

DS is 8 and a very able reader (in Y3 but has literacy lessons in a mixed Y5/6 group at school), but until now reading has been easy but 'booooooooooring' and he's had to be coerced into it and never willingly picked up a book for pleasure. We've tried all the usual suspects - Wimpy Kid, Horrid Henry, David Walliams, Captain Underpants, Flat Stanley etc. - and he's quite liked them once he's got going but not really read with any real enthusiasm. Then he discovered Tom Gates books and he loves them - has devoured the first three in the past fortnight. I'm delighted, but also panicking slightly because there are only 8 in the series so far and I want to keep the momentum going. We're going to the library to see if anything there tickles his fancy, but I was wondering whether you lovely lot had any suggestions. He particularly likes the graphics and doodles in the Tom Gates books.

Leeds2 Sat 13-Jun-15 13:58:30

Middle School series by James Patterson might appeal?

NickNackNooToYou Sat 13-Jun-15 14:03:28

Just go to the library and let him choose. I take mine aged 10 (reading age of 14+) and 8 (really struggled but is improving greatly). They both love just looking through all the shelves, often they choose for each other or ask me too.

madamehooch Sat 13-Jun-15 14:25:45

World of Norm

AngelsWithSilverWings Sat 13-Jun-15 14:30:03

Watching with interest as I have a 9 year old Tom Gates fan who won't read anything else.

spiderlight Sat 13-Jun-15 18:13:10

Thanks - I'll have a look at those!

DoTheDuckFace Sat 13-Jun-15 18:15:27

Another vote for the middle school series.

Have you tried a different genre? Ds loves fantasy and loved the beast quest series which then pavedcthe way for skulduggery pleasant and the chronicles of ancient darkness.

Starlightbright1 Sat 13-Jun-15 21:51:12

Have you tried Will Solvit...My DS loves Tom gates but has also enjoyed these.

forago Sat 13-Jun-15 21:54:25

2 DS here and its been tom gates, norm, middle school here

thobblywighs Sat 13-Jun-15 21:56:13

All of the above plus I am not a loser books

Mytholmroyd Sat 13-Jun-15 22:00:07

i second James Patterson's books DS is 9 and currently reading them and can't put them down - giggles away happily on the sofa!

Yamahaha Sat 13-Jun-15 22:05:21

Percy Jackson series?
Mr Gum?
Philip Pullman Northern Lights trilogy?
Anthony Horowitz (Stormbreaker, Falcon's Malteaser etc)
Diana Wynne Jones Chrestomanci books?
Chronicles of Narnia
Hobbit
Has he read Harry Potter?

Horrid Henry/Flat Stanley way too young for him I would have thought.

spiderlight Sun 14-Jun-15 12:39:13

Thanks - lots to look out for. I've read the first few Harry Potters to him but he hasn't read any of them himself yet. He gets easily put off by big chunks of text, which is why he loves Tom Gates so much - it's broken up by so many images and doodles that he doesn't feel as if it's going to be a slog. He tired one of the Middle School books a few months back and I think he found the kids in it a bit old to relate to (he's quite a young 8) but we'll give them another go at some point. haven't heard of Will Solvit or the 'I am not a loser' series but I'll go and investigate them on Amazon forthwith! We have an Inset day coming up so i'll take him to the library with some of these in mind and see if he fancies any of them. He likes non-fiction books about cars etc. but it's been so nice to see him devouring a proper big fat book and getting into the story!

SunnySomer Mon 15-Jun-15 17:19:55

My DS (8) is currently massively into the Roman Mysteries books. (They did Romans at school last term). Different genre completely (basically Famous 5 set in Ancient Rome), but good stories, lots of new concepts, but s glossary in each book. (And there are 17 in the series, so takes a while to run out!).

CatOnMyLap Mon 15-Jun-15 17:28:51

Mr Gum. Funniest books ever. We read them to DS when he was six and he loved them; he read them all to himself recently (aged 8) amid gales of laughter and torches under the duvet. He got a lot more out of them aged eight - some of the jokes went over his head when he was younger.

Parrish Mon 15-Jun-15 18:41:44

13 storey treehouse! My Tom gates fan loves this book and there are some sequels due out this year

meglet Mon 15-Jun-15 18:44:52

marking my place. ds will have finished all the TG books by the autumn. not sure where we're heading next.

agree that Mr gum is funny.

Parrish Mon 15-Jun-15 18:47:32

Oh and how could I forget the Captain Underpants series? Easy reading.

SuzK Mon 15-Jun-15 22:14:27

Bear headed shark thing is fab

spiderlight Tue 16-Jun-15 12:02:30

Great stuff - added a load of those to our Amazon wishlist grin

katys10 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:41:27

My 8 year old son is exactly the same - loves Tom Gates and nothing else has come close. He's currently enjoying Hank Zipzer, The World's Greatest Underachiever books though, very similar style to Tom Gates.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1606996533/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_2?refRID=15APFEVJXFV36EQDZEZ0

The Donald Duck type graphic novels? Maybe a bit left field grin

We're in Germany and they sell them (newly published ones - a new one each month) in the newsagent / village shop near our primary, and my 7 yo boy likes them as do lots of the boys that age. I don't know if they're equally easily available in the UK? We live in a bit of a time warp, it sometimes seems, so feel free to ignore if a British 8 yo wouldn't be seen reading such a thing grin

They still bring out new ones... they're sort of graphic novels not just magazine type comics.

DD is reading Dork Diaries - like TomGates but female protagonist.

Also quite a few books have been done in alternative graphic novel form (The Hobbit for example). Not sure how good they are as haven't seen a copy "in the flesh" but could be worth a look for a child really put off by traditional blocks of text.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0261102664/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1434630915&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=graphic+novels+for+children&dpPl=1&dpID=51hJeAAYH3L&ref=plSrch

Has good reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now