Talk

Advanced search

What to read to DD next?

(14 Posts)
Elvish Thu 11-Jun-15 13:42:39

We've just finished 11 books of How to train your dragon, which DD (age 5) loved. We are waiting for the final book in the series, but we need something else to read now.

We have the Dick King-Smith Sophie books on the shelf and we read a Darcey Bussel ballet type thing which was fairly insipid.

I'm really looking for a decent series of books we can get into. Strong female characters would be great, but adventure is more important. I don't really want to do Famous 5 etc as I think she would struggle with understanding the age/period of them.

Would like something to expand her vocabulary, which HTTYD was great for.

Any suggestions please?

Seeline Thu 11-Jun-15 13:45:27

Roald Dahl - not a series but lots of books by him
Pippi Longstocking stories
The Borrowers series

merrygoround51 Thu 11-Jun-15 13:47:29

Fancy Nancy
Anna Hibiscus

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 11-Jun-15 13:48:26

Milly Molly Mandy or Little House on the Prairie. There are several books in each of those series. My DDs also loved Olga da Polga at that age - it's about a guinea pig with attitude.

Oh - and My Naughty Little Sister - quite a few of those books too. I read them to my Rainbows at sleepovers and they love them - similar age.

Winnie the Pooh
Paddington Bear books

Shall I go on???

EdYouKateShaun Thu 11-Jun-15 13:50:11

Maisie Hitchens series by Holly Webb are good. She a girl detective in the Victorian era.

Elvish Thu 11-Jun-15 14:01:10

Roald Dahl, we do need to start, we're going to see Matilda in the summer so it's on the list.

I've never read the Borrowers, I'll add it to the list.

We've read Paddington books, they are great.

Off to do some Googling - thanks everyone!

TapStepBallChange Thu 11-Jun-15 14:04:42

My 6 year old loves the Worst Witch, 7 books in the series, great characters, almost all female, quite funny too

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 11-Jun-15 14:15:16

DS loved Thw Wizard of Oz and there is a series of them

Leeds2 Thu 11-Jun-15 19:01:58

Sophie and the Shadow Woods series.

BlueChampagne Thu 11-Jun-15 21:47:03

Katie Morag
Winnie the Witch
Eric Thomson's Magic Roundabout stories

BlueChampagne Thu 11-Jun-15 21:48:03

Green Smoke
Charlotte's Web
101 Dalmatians

Elvish Sat 13-Jun-15 07:55:54

Thanks everyone for your recommendations, I've ordered the Maisie Hitchin books to start us off and made a list of the other suggestions for later. smile

notaplasticgnome Mon 15-Jun-15 10:41:39

Five Children and IT. I've just been re-reading it and it's a lovely book.

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 18-Jun-15 21:05:52

Ottoline - Chris Riddell
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
Magic Faraway tree series

And we've just read a lovely series about Violet Mackerel, which was recommended on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now