Talk

Advanced search

Judy blume interview in in the guardian today

(11 Posts)
gilmoregirl Sat 23-May-15 09:41:34

Love, love love Judy ! Lucky Hadley Freeman got to interview her, she sounds just like I thought she would be. I have an email reply from her from a few years ago when I wrote a message on her website about how much I loved her books and how much I was looking forward to sharing them with DS. If you have not read any of her books I cannot recommend them highly enough.

www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/may/22/judy-blume-author-interview-hadley-freeman

grabaspoon Sun 31-May-15 12:41:59

Wow just read the interview and she comes across exactly how I imagined her to; and this was so right "My parents raised me, of course, but it was a different adult who shaped my mental landscape"

AlpacaMyBags Sun 31-May-15 12:57:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PlayingHouse Sat 06-Jun-15 17:40:17

Her books were beyond helpful for me. I learnt so much and our Judy Blume a great deal.

Nobody in my house or my school, we're going to discuss periods etc with me.

And there are certain parts of her books which have stayed with me forever.

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Jun-15 17:46:46

I loved her books. When I read the interview a couple of weeks ago I realised that ds is nearly old enough for Fudge.

PlayingHouse Sat 06-Jun-15 20:22:59

How old would say is the right age for fudge bikerikeski?

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Jun-15 21:31:09

Well ds is nearly 7 and beginning to read a bit independently. I was going to say that I remember reading Superfudge when I was about 8, but it wasn't published til I was 9!!! Fudge is the hero of "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" too isn't he? And fourth grade is what - Year 3??? Ds'll be Year 2 in Sept. Maybe he's not quite ready..., but def a book for him to read himself when he takes the lead into reading chapter books.

PlayingHouse Sun 07-Jun-15 08:20:25

I was trying to remember the ages I was when I read them as well!

DD1 is 7.5 and in YR2, I think I will buy for her 8th birthday

ragged Sun 07-Jun-15 08:42:25

Fudge books I'd say age 9-10, the girl-angst ones better for age 11-13 (like the scoliosis one). We were all 6th grade, so 10-12 when Margaret came out & everybody I knew read it and the scoliosis book. It was a huge big deal, to talk about a 'mixed' marriage like that & a girl in our class had scoliosis so it was real to us.

ragged Sun 07-Jun-15 08:43:05

4th grade is more like year 5, age 8-10.

PlayingHouse Mon 08-Jun-15 10:55:34

Ok so maybe i'll wait a bit smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now