Best books for introducing feelings to toddlers?

(13 Posts)
Marzipanmodelling Fri 15-May-15 08:35:39

Could you recommend a good book that explains feelings to young children? My DS is quite sensitive and I'd like to use a book to aid me telling him it's ok to be scared or angry or sad. He's just over 2.5yo and loves books. Thanks

Takver Fri 15-May-15 12:58:44

My Many Coloured Days by Dr Seuss is absolutely lovely. It's not a typical Dr Seuss book, the illustrations are all by different artists, and it's a beautiful introduction to the idea of different feelings. (I can still recite bits of the text, despite the fact that dd is now 13!)

mrssmiling Fri 15-May-15 18:35:25

You might like this one - 'The Great Big Book of Feelings' by Mary Hoffman and Ros Asquith. It's great for discussion.
www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-Big-Book-Feelings/dp/1847802818

Marzipanmodelling Fri 15-May-15 22:33:12

Thank you Takver this looks a lovely book to start on and like the idea behind it.
Thank you also mrssmiling this will be handy to get to support the next few years.
They will be useful to talk through my feelings too as I'm so exhausted with his baby brother I've been crying a lot lately so want to explain about being sad and upset.
Thanks for the suggestions x

schmalex Sat 16-May-15 06:53:50

Hi OP, no specific recommendations but I always talk about how the character might be feeling at certain points in all the picture books we read.

Springtimemama Sat 16-May-15 07:15:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Springtimemama Sat 16-May-15 07:17:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iggly Sat 16-May-15 07:19:41

I also found that explaining feelings when they were feeling them was good as they could understand more easily.

pathogenius Sat 16-May-15 07:41:33

How are you peeling? By Boost Elders is the best. I can't recommend it enough. It's on Amazon UK. Have relied on this for 13 years. ;-)

pathogenius Sat 16-May-15 07:42:15

Joost Elfers! Not Boost.

MetallicBeige Sat 16-May-15 07:44:20

I love this one, Sometime I feel Sunny

dangerrabbit Sat 16-May-15 08:12:56

This is a useful link.

I have found the everybody feels series really clear and well written. They have it in our local library. Angry, sad, scared, happy.

BlueChampagne Sat 16-May-15 23:07:47

Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs series is good. Sibling annoyance, starting school, new friends etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now