Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody remember the Mary Plain books?

(20 Posts)
sparkysparkysparky Thu 23-Apr-15 10:19:53

Mary Plain books are out of print. I picked up a couple of bashed about ones on eBay for Dd (8) as a bit of light relief. I loved them as a kid in the 70s. DD is enjoying them.
Seen them on ebay for hideous money for collectors. I wondered if any of you remember this series.

CMOTDibbler Thu 23-Apr-15 10:25:31

Yes, I've still got my Mary Plain omnibus

sparkysparkysparky Thu 23-Apr-15 10:27:55

Have a look on ebay and wince at how much they appear to be going for. Clasp your omnibus to your bosom!
Note to dm: this is why we don't throw books out!

Seeline Thu 23-Apr-15 10:31:25

Yes! About a little bear I think? I had forgotten all about them until now. they obviously didn't make it into my box of must be kept books sad

exexpat Thu 23-Apr-15 10:32:37

I loved the Mary Plain books when I was little, and bought a couple of the reissued hardbacks to read to my DCs about a decade ago. They weren't interested sad.

IndridCold Thu 23-Apr-15 16:55:43

My DM adored them as a little girl (in the 30s) but I don't think she had any copies to read to me. I think they must have been reissued about 20 years ago, because eventually she got a whole lot of them.

PestoSwimissimos Thu 23-Apr-15 16:56:53

Yes, I have them all smile

Greenteandchives Thu 23-Apr-15 16:57:25

Oh yes! and Pookie the little rabbit with wings!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 23-Apr-15 16:59:44

Loved them! I never had any though, we borrowed them from the library.

PestoSwimissimos Thu 23-Apr-15 17:02:17

I was introduced to Mary Plain by our class teacher reading to us at primary school, then I too borrowed them from our local library. Eventually I started to buy them for myself as I just loved reading and re-reading them. I dug them out from the loft and read them to my DD's too, when they were small.

Greenteandchives Thu 23-Apr-15 17:18:21

She was from the bear pits in Berne. Her friend was The Owl Man!
Oh the memories! smile

Bloodybridget Thu 23-Apr-15 20:47:20

And when she was feeling homesick she used to ask the Owl Man "Do you think the Twins are happy without me?". I picked up a cheap charity shop copy of one a couple of years ago, I loved them as a child.

Failedspinster Sat 25-Apr-15 21:31:07

I had a couple. My DH has read them too and occasionally calls me Mary Plain still smile

AtomicDog Sat 25-Apr-15 21:33:15

I loved Mary Plain. I only have a copy of one of them, can't even remember which tbh. The owl man was great.

mrssmiling Sun 26-Apr-15 11:20:52

Ooh yes, lovely books! I loved Mary Plain, and even more than Paddington!
'I'm Mary Plain, an unusual first-class bear cub from the bear-pits at Berne and I've got a white rosette and a gold medal with a picture of myself on it.' The Owl Man, the Fur-Coat-Lady, Mary's 'pomes', meringues, Mary's very special writing....a shame they are no longer in print. I have picked up copies in charity shops and on Ebay - you can get the occasional bargain! smile

FlouncyMcFlouncer Sun 26-Apr-15 18:50:02

I loved these books and used to get them from the local library over and over again. Have never seen them since the early 80's though sad

SoldierBear Sun 03-May-15 22:05:26

I adore Mary Plain and have about 6 or 7 of the books. I am recollecting after my sister threw out my childhood collection a few years ago. Not that I am bitter. Or even furious.
Mary's "svisits" and her bathing suit to add to Mrs Smilings memories.
Brilliantly funny.

EmilyAlice Thu 07-May-15 16:25:03

"I dance like a fairy, I'm lovely and hairy, my name is Mary Plain".
"Mary Plain from the Bear Pits at Berne".

Sukebind Sat 23-May-15 22:10:12

Loved the one I had and only recently realised there was a whole series. Trying to buy them up piecemeal but they are pricey!

mrssmiling Sun 24-May-15 15:35:52

Nice link.
If you are looking for MP books do put a search on Ebay - I got alerts for any new listings including 'Mary Plain' and found a few nice copies at a reasonable price. Mainly the 1970s Red Knight paperbacks, and a couple of older hardbacks, all at £5-£10. Worth every penny! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now