Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Greek myths for 7yr old boy

(13 Posts)
wakesandquakes Mon 02-Mar-15 11:19:30

DS is currently devouring the Atticus the Storyteller 100 Greek myths: www.amazon.co.uk/Atticus-Storyteller-100-Stories-Greece/dp/1842552791/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289249935&sr=8-2-catcorr&tag=mumsnet#noop

It's perfect, even if the names are a little challenging. The only thing would be that the stories are quite short - great as an introduction, but my question is where do we go from here? What is the next level - so more detail, greater length (bit more blood and guts, but perhaps not too much?) as would love to encourage his interest but having something for him to move on to.

TIA.

schmalex Mon 02-Mar-15 13:40:13

Have you tried the Beasts of Olympus series by Lucy Coats? They are funny fiction based on the Greek myths.

MagratsHair Tue 03-Mar-15 14:26:25

Percy Jackson is based up on the Greek gods, although I haven't read them myself. My DS read them when he was 8 & still re-reads them now. Then there is the Heroes of Olympus series.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 03-Mar-15 14:34:02

The Usborne book of Greek myths is the classic one - DS adores it. I'll try to fund a link

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 03-Mar-15 14:34:13

find!

Nowtherave Tue 03-Mar-15 14:34:22

Marcia Williams has a detailed comic-style one called Greek Myths for Children. Very enjoyable and some dry humour too.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 03-Mar-15 14:36:05

Another vote for Percy Jackson series. DS came across them at 7 and devoured the series, then went on to read everything else by Rick Riordan as well. The girls then read them, and I did ;-)

SewingAndCakes Tue 03-Mar-15 14:39:13

Ds2 enjoys the Percy Jackson books so do I

LittleBoxes Tue 03-Mar-15 14:45:17

My 8-year-old DD is utterly obsessed with the Percy Jackson books. They're great. She also has the big Usborne book here

and the one for younger children here

and is halfway through the Roger Lancelyn Green Tales of the Greek Heroes here

She also has this really beautiful one

and has read this one, which I came across in a charity shop.

Another good fiction series based on myth are the Corydon books here

FriendlyLadybird Tue 03-Mar-15 15:30:01

I grew up on Roger Lancelyn Green. He wove Tales of the Greek Heroes and the Tale of Troy into a fairly convincing single narrative. I also remember reading The Luck of Troy which was told from the point of view of Helen's children, one of whom she took to Troy with her.

My children have both loved Percy Jackson -- as have I.

wakesandquakes Wed 04-Mar-15 22:34:23

Fantastic. Loads of ideas. DS is not the most confident of readers but has been asking for the Atticus book. He's not ready for Percy Jackson yet (but older DD has inhaled them all, repeatedly) so was looking at a bridging book or two to keep his interest (and reading) going.

Off to Amazon.....
Thanks again

EarlyMyths Tue 21-Jul-15 14:27:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueChampagne Wed 22-Jul-15 16:22:29

Another vote for the Usborne Greek myths - very popular in our house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now