Talk

Advanced search

If you could give any book to a 6 year old which would it be?

(46 Posts)
Shamazeballs Sun 01-Feb-15 19:17:03

It's DS' 6th birthday soon and I'm looking to boost our already vast library! What would you say is the best book for a 6 year old? Either for reading alone or for me to read to him.

Patilla Sun 01-Feb-15 19:26:38

DS loves Dinosaur Cove books. I wouldn't say that they are works of literary genius, but he likes them.

Along with the How to Train a Dragon series.

WineCowboy Sun 01-Feb-15 19:27:53

I'm wondering about Harry Potter!? Too young? Dd loves the dinosaur cove books, and the paperback books from the same author as the Pirate Cruncher. George's marvellous medicine?

Shamazeballs Sun 01-Feb-15 19:46:33

We have the dragon books grin just waiting for him to show more than a fleeting interest in them.

Dinosaur Cove looks right up his street. Do they need to be read in order?

dyslexicdespot Sun 01-Feb-15 19:52:06

The OZ books, the little house books.' Ronia the robbers daughter', The brothers Lionheart- by Astrid Lindgren. The Mary Poppins books. Gosh, so many!

Shamazeballs Sun 01-Feb-15 21:04:33

Thanks. Have just ordered the brothers lionheart smile. I hadn't heard of it before.

We have Mary Poppins, Little house series and Harry Potter. I'm beginning to think I have an addiction to children's fiction!

FoxyMcFox Sun 01-Feb-15 21:17:59

Ds and dd have some lovely shortened versions of classic novels - Robinson Cruso, Robin Hood, Little Women etc. They love them all and will definately want to read the originals when they are older.

Dd (6) has also recently enjoyed some Dick King-Smith. The Swoose in particular.

Trying to break ds's love of Horrid bleedin Henry is tough! He has liked the David Walliams books but he is nearly 8 so they might be a bit old for a 6yr old.

Shamazeballs Sun 01-Feb-15 21:47:00

Ah Horrid Henry. I can't read those without raging at the useless parents and smug bloody Peter!

MuseumOfHam Sun 01-Feb-15 22:04:04

DS is 7 but quite a young 7 in terms of his literary appreciation, so maybe about the same stage as your DS. We've just finished Winnie The Pooh, and it went down very well, as he now gets most of the jokes, and understands the characterization of all the different animals, which is really quite charming.

BlueChampagne Sun 01-Feb-15 22:13:54

A beautifully produced classic, to read to him for starters, such as Wind in the Willows.

LittleBoxes Sun 01-Feb-15 22:16:19

DD was obsessed with Astrosaurs at that age.

atticusclaw Sun 01-Feb-15 22:18:32

DS2 loved the secret of nimh, the weirdstone of brisingamen (we read it as a family), the never ending story, the invention of Hugo cabret, the hobbit, momo and the George's guide to the universe series by Stephen and Lucy hawking.

I am addicted to children's books too.

Enb76 Sun 01-Feb-15 22:19:09

Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman. Has my 6 year old in stiches whenever she reads it. It's her go to book.

atticusclaw Sun 01-Feb-15 22:19:24

Sorry, the secret of nimh is the name of the film, the book is called mrs frisky and the rats of nimh.

atticusclaw Sun 01-Feb-15 22:19:45

Aargh! FRISBY

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 01-Feb-15 22:19:45

The Twits

or George's Marvellous Medicine

atticusclaw Sun 01-Feb-15 22:21:24

Oh and the borrowers went down very well.

Medoc Sun 01-Feb-15 22:22:21

Cressida Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon series- there are 11, so will boost your library!
They're fantastic.
Claude series for him to read to himself? (by Alex T Smith)
Secret Seven/Famous Five?

DakotaFanny Sun 01-Feb-15 22:23:44

Captain underpants by Dave Pilky....both of my kids have LOVED them since age 6 ish.

atticusclaw Sun 01-Feb-15 22:24:12

Fog and how could I forget given my name. The Atticus claw series is fantastic.

atticusclaw Sun 01-Feb-15 22:24:59

FOG confused. Hate this iPad!!

LakeFlyPie Sun 01-Feb-15 22:26:38

DS (6) loves the Littlenose series by John Grant.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Sun 01-Feb-15 22:28:18

Yes, Borrowers - and Paddington, or Just William.

beanandspud Sun 01-Feb-15 22:29:41

Has he read Enid Blyton's Secret Seven series? DS loved those and they are easier to read than the Famous Five.

If he's into football the 'Frankie and The Magic Football' series were liked by DS. Not likely to win any literary awards anytime soon though.

Roald Dahl might also be a good option at that age.

Zebda Sun 01-Feb-15 22:32:33

DD (6) and I have been working our way through the complete works of Roald Dahl (given as a gift last christmas, you can find some v cheap sets) and they are fab. We didnt get on with the Twits (bleurgh) but have absolutely loved the Charlie and Chocalte books, mathilda, James and the giant peach, the witches etc. Makes bedtime reading fun as I'm loving re-reading them too smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: