Advanced search

Charlotte Sometimes

(16 Posts)
Devora Tue 27-Jan-15 23:50:12

I've just finished reading this to my 9yo - it was a favourite of mine at her age and it was lovely to share with her (she loved it too).

For the first time i saw that it is actually one of a trilogy called the 'Aviary Hall' books. I looked up the others but couldn't find them - presumably out of print. Has anyone read the others? Any good?

morningtoncrescent62 Wed 28-Jan-15 13:46:22

They're a bit weird, Devora, but chances are if your 9yo enjoyed Charlotte Sometimes she'll like the other two as well. They're probably aimed at a slightly younger audience, and there's less characterisation in them. The Summer Birds is lovely, I think, and my DDs adored it - it's the tale of what Charlotte, Emily and the village children get up to one summer. I don't want to say too much in case of spoilers, but it's a lovely fantasy, and the period feel (now) is great. Emma in Winter is a bit bemusing. It's set during (I think) the Charlotte Sometimes term, and central to the plot line is Emily being lonely and bored now that Charlotte's gone to boarding school. I wasn't quite as keen on it though DDs both liked it - I couldn't quite get hold of what was actually happening! It felt like it was allegorical and symbolic of something but I didn't know what. My DDs just took it at face value and liked it.

If you can get hold of them at reasonable prices I'd say they're worth trying.

IsadoraQuagmire Thu 29-Jan-15 15:05:19

I can't believe I didn't know about these other two books! shock Charlotte Sometimes is one of my favorites..

morningtoncrescent62 Thu 29-Jan-15 18:39:00

Ooops, I see I muddled my Emilys and my Emmas. blush Senior moment there! Charlotte's sister is of course Emma. A word of caution, Isadora, don't read them thinking they'll be like Charlotte Sometimes - they're very different. Charlotte Sometimes was a childhood favourite of mine to the point of almost knowing it by heart, I think, and I only discovered the other two when my DDs were younger and 'tinternet had come along. It took me a while to get over the fact that they're so different from Charlotte Sometimes, but I eventually enjoyed them, and I liked getting to 'meet' Emma and find out more about Charlotte's home life. I don't know why they weren't republished.

Devora Thu 29-Jan-15 23:33:58

Thanks so much, morningtoncrescent - you're a mine of useful information! That Penelope Farmer - I don't know anything about her, but you can tell she's got deep dark corners, can't you?

Has anyone ever filmed Charlotte Sometimes? I hope not - I'm still in shock from my kids' A Little Princess video which starred a little blonde popsy. That is just so wrong.

morningtoncrescent62 Fri 30-Jan-15 10:38:10

Ah, but have you seen the Shirley Temple version of A Little Princess, Devora? It elevates wrong to whole new levels!

I always thought Charlotte Sometimes would have made a good Sunday tea-time serial for those old enough to remember when the BBC showed a slightly creepy children's drama in the run-up to Christmas. Come Back Lucy, anyone? And the unforgettable A Box of Delights. The late 70s were full of them - Children of the Stones, Midnight Is a Place, The Moon Stallion, A Traveller in Time and that one I've never been able to remember properly about freeing slaves in Sierra Leone. Someone missed a trick with Charlotte Sometimes which I think would have been perfect for the genre, but as far as I know it was never filmed or televised unless you count this (I don't).

IsadoraQuagmire Fri 30-Jan-15 11:37:38

I looked on ebay to see if those other two books were easily available , but no sign! There were a lot of copies of her 'Castle of Bone' which I have read, but don't really remember (I'm on my third copy of Charlotte, I re-read my books until they fall apart and then get new copies- though looking at my book collection an awful lot of them were already out of print before I was born, so I have to put up with them being in 8 separate pieces!)

I've heard of the Cure song, and there's a film with the same title that has nothing to do with the book!

Those 70s shows sound good - I wasn't born then, but 99% of my favorite books, TV shows and film were made before I was born. My theme song is "Born Too Late!"

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 30-Jan-15 11:41:11

I once read a very grumbly blog by the author complaining that everyone assumed she got a royalty from the Cure song and of course she didn't.

IsadoraQuagmire Fri 30-Jan-15 15:02:46

TheCountessofFitzdotterel grin

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 30-Jan-15 21:18:02

I loved Charlotte Sometimes, I also always thought it would have been a good one to do for TV. I liked Moondial at the same age too.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 30-Jan-15 21:18:13

and A Traveller in Time

Devora Fri 30-Jan-15 21:49:04

Do you think the book suggested that Sara had mixed Indian and English heritage? I always wondered that.

You'd lose that hint with Shirley T, wouldn't you?

catsofa Fri 30-Jan-15 22:19:52

Oh wow thanks for this, I loved Charlotte Sometimes and recently bought it to read again and maybe share with DSD who is 9. No idea she'd written anything else but will keep an eye out for the others now, I'm trying to acquire a bookcase full of children's books since DSD is starting to be able to read really interesting stuff and I'm expecting my first baby in April.

Sara from A Little Princess I assumed had lived/been born in India to English colonialists, so had English genes but was able to speak fluent Hindustani. There was a TV version when I was a child in which she was played by a pale skinny girl with stringy black hair who I thought at the time was good - I've not seen it since though.

Love, 'Charlotte Sometimes.' And was going to post that Cure video, but have been beaten to it!

Jennifersrabbit Fri 30-Jan-15 22:29:56

That reminds me that my DS might be ready for Midnight Is a Place. I loved that book.

Sara in A Little Princess is dark haired and slight, certainly in the illustrations but I think also in the text. Isn't part of the point that she isn't a conventional blonde 'show pupil'?

I think her parents were colonial English but Id have to look it up.

thaliablogs Fri 30-Jan-15 22:42:18

Love Charlotte sometimes too and have not read the others. Will go and hunt for them.

Have you looked at the 'grannyp' blog? P farmer blogging about life. Seems to have stopped a few years ago but some good stuff including meeting Robert smith

Here's a link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now