Talk

Advanced search

Books for 3.5 year old

(6 Posts)
suddenlycupishalffull Tue 06-Jan-15 22:58:16

DD is at the 'why' stage with a vengeance...I got Usbourne My World Pop Up Atlas & Questions & Answers Lift the Flap Book, both of which she enjoys (I'm not sure how much she's understanding of it all but we talk through the pictures and she continues to ask why...) Anyway I want to encourage this curiousity, any recommendations of similar books for around her age group?

suddenlycupishalffull Wed 07-Jan-15 09:18:12

Bump?

mipmop Wed 07-Jan-15 09:41:20

I just typed a huge response which disappeared when I copied a link.

My 3.5yo is the same, and we have similar books. Have you seen the What on Earth range?
https://www.whatonearthbooks.com/about

I feel that until mine can read independently, what he needs is really a patient parent (I was the same as a child and remember my endless questions being answered happily.) So most books can trigger questions and it's just a case of answering in an age-appropriate way. Although I do have and like the Usborne pop-up book about the body, we probably ask and answer more questions when he gets his medical case out and pays at being a doctor or vet.

I like the Barefoot books range, e.g. Elusive moose and Skip through the seasons which are both "look and find" books with facts at the back (can't say I know much about moose or fish eagles myself.) Also the Octonauts are popular here, and those stories do have lots of facts about the behaviour of sea creatures.

mipmop Wed 07-Jan-15 09:49:22

Also there's some interesting stuff here about telling facts (stifling) versus explorative conversation (encourages curiosity):
www.parentingscience.com/preschool-science-activities.html

suddenlycupishalffull Wed 07-Jan-15 10:08:59

Thank you mip! Yes I tend to learn something when I watch Octonauts ;) I've not heard of the series you suggest so I'll google thank now thank you.

mipmop Wed 07-Jan-15 10:40:00

Here's a link to the barefoot books website, they sometimes have discount codes , they're on amazon and they have a short of franchise thing with local sellers going to school fairs etc. I know you don't need an atlas but it is a nice one grin.
store.barefootbooks.com/uk/barefoot-books-world-atlas.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now