Talk

Advanced search

Detectives (or psychics!), please help me figure out what this book is, with minimal information!

(16 Posts)
DropYourSword Tue 30-Dec-14 08:50:09

My mum bought me a book for birthday/Christmas one year on the recommendation of a teacher. I remember reading it and 'Freddie and the Enormouse' around the same time so think I could have been 8 ish.

I just remember the book being about a boy and a bear (think it was live rather than a teddy) and they were on an islands (I think). I remember the island feeling a little creepy/haunted and like it was covered in bare trees, possibly snow. They walked around hand in hand and I think they were. Bit scared.

That's ALL I recall but have been trying to identify this book for years. Any chances this is ringing a bell with anyone? I could easily have details incorrect!

Sherborne Tue 30-Dec-14 08:53:08

The Island of Skog?

DropYourSword Tue 30-Dec-14 09:20:01

Just googled Island of Skog...it's not that one sad

DrownedGirl Tue 30-Dec-14 09:21:28

What year do you think it was?

CaulkheadUpNorth Tue 30-Dec-14 09:24:35

Touching spirit bear?

DrownedGirl Tue 30-Dec-14 09:27:36

This might help
w1.loganberrybooks.com/stumpthebookseller/

DrownedGirl Tue 30-Dec-14 09:31:36

www.abebooks.com/docs/Community/BookSleuth/Archives/Solved/solvedBeforeJan3.shtml

springalong Tue 30-Dec-14 09:31:46

Have you asked your mum? She might remember more details from the original recommendation

DropYourSword Tue 30-Dec-14 09:32:54

I would have read it maybe 1989 or 1990, but it might not have been a new book at that time. Just looked up Touching Spirit Bear, it's not that either, although I think 14 year old me would have loved it!

DropYourSword Tue 30-Dec-14 09:34:02

I asked mum, she can't remember unfortunately.

DropYourSword Tue 30-Dec-14 09:48:39

Thanks for the book sleuth link drownedgirl I didn't know it existed and it looks like they've solved queries on less info than mine!!

DeWee Thu 01-Jan-15 11:10:17

Wasn't a Beaver and Beaver Towers was it? The boy was called Philip and was taken to the island by a large kite.

DropYourSword Thu 01-Jan-15 11:25:51

That's ringing a bell...going to google now!

DropYourSword Thu 01-Jan-15 11:30:31

IT WAS! That's exactly the one! As soon as I saw the picture of the book cover I knew it was right. The little beaver was Baby B. Thanks DeWee, am so please to have finally found it.

springalong Thu 01-Jan-15 20:47:46

Well done smile Love a happy ending!

DeWee Fri 02-Jan-15 00:14:47

It was one of db's favourite books, and I read them to ds last year and he liked them, so we donated a copy of each to the school library. But there were only 2 when db read them and now there are 4 or 5.

I love the mechanics (Mike, Ann and Nick) and the way Baby B says Philip "Flipip" I think.

Glad to be of help. They got mentioned a couple of times in the favourite children's book thread too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now