Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Truly fabulous audio books for a 10 year old girl

(21 Posts)
Bonsoir Thu 11-Dec-14 12:53:22

DD loves relaxing to an audio book but there are so many out there. I would be very grateful for recommendations for the very best audio versions of great children's books (classics are just fine but I am up for anything).

TIA

Takver Thu 11-Dec-14 18:08:36

The Harry Potter audio books are good (we have unabridged versions though can't remember where from). The Artemis Fowl audio books are also excellent, bought for dd but I listened to the whole series myself as my washing-up-fodder for ages.

Bonsoir Thu 11-Dec-14 18:10:44

smile Thank you.

tribpot Thu 11-Dec-14 18:29:40

I think you can only buy the Harry Potter audiobooks from pottermore.com - and well worth it they are to listen to the silky smooth tones of Mr Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter to you.

We're reading the Percy Jackson series at the mo (ds is 9) - have got one audiobook now that you can sync between audio and text on Kindle. Also good stuff.

ds enjoyed the Roman Mysteries until about the fifth one in, when it all got a bit spooky for him - also available in audio narrated by Michael "the Hooded Man" Praed.

What about Susan Cooper - alas the audiobooks for The Dark is Rising sequence look super-pricey on Amazon.

TheWordFactory Thu 11-Dec-14 20:02:52

Charlotte Sometimes narrated by Hannah Gordon.
The Secret Garden narrated by Jenny Agutter.
Wind in the Willows BBC version, narrated by lots of great English actors.

CrunchieFeeling Thu 11-Dec-14 20:05:22

I love the just William books read by Martin Jarvis... As a neurotic twenty something I went through a phase of being read to each night blush

Slubberdegullion Thu 11-Dec-14 20:08:45

Dd1 really enjoyed the Terry Pratchett Tiffany Aching books.

We just listened to The Silver Chair on the way back from holiday which was good.

Catmint Thu 11-Dec-14 20:09:41

Is Clarice Bean too young ?

berceuse Thu 11-Dec-14 20:09:42

You can get HP audio from the library.

Secret Garden, Ballet Shoes, Narnia and that sort of thing are available from the BBC shop. They also have Heidi which I have bought but haven't listened to (Xmas gift).

They seem to be selling a fair bit that isn't a BBC production these days but that is always where I look to see what I want to buy even if I don't always buy it from there.

Oh, the Jackanory version of the Hobbit is very good - much less screechy than the BBC version.

TheWordFactory Thu 11-Dec-14 20:11:36

Ballet Shoes - again BBC version with a full cast.

Pusspuss1 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:13:40

I know! Perfect for this time of year - A Christmas carol, read by Martin Jarvis. Makes my spine tingle every time!

TimeWarp Thu 11-Dec-14 20:19:30

The Hank Zipzer audio books went down well with my 7 yr old DD and 10 yr old DS (they loved the TV series too).

The BBC dramatised Railway Children gets played pretty much every time we go on a long journey.

The Boy in a Dress by David Walliams got listened to several times as well.

atticusclaw Thu 11-Dec-14 20:20:40

you can get the HP books on amazon (ebay is also a good source)

The secret garden is dire. I was so disappointed and the DCs weren't engaged at all.

We have audio books on the go constantly since we have a long journey to and from school. I would suggest:

His Dark Materials
The Neverending Story
Michael Morpurgo classic collection (all volumes are great)
Tom's midnight garden is good (BBC dramatisation with a cast rather than the cover to cover version which I haven't heard)
The Borrowers was enjoyed by everyone.

TimeWarp Thu 11-Dec-14 20:35:31

Oh, and the dramatised Railway Children never reduces me to tears, I'm a grown woman don't you know. I don't have to concentrate on thinking of something completely different like puppies and kittens because it would be dangerous to have tears in my eyes while driving. ("Daddy, my Daddy" <tiny sob>)

Bonsoir Thu 11-Dec-14 22:29:54

Thank you everyone smile

LemonySnug Sat 27-Dec-14 22:07:11

BBC Greek Myths - they have a number of audio CDs for children
Roald Dahl and David Walliams
chronicles of Narnia

MrsCakesPrecognition Sat 27-Dec-14 22:18:25

DD has spent the last 12 months listening to her Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy CD on loop. The one voiced by Stephen Fry, of course grin

iseenodust Mon 05-Jan-15 10:14:07

Just bought Gerald Durrell's My family & other animals read by Hugh Bonneville for DS age10.

hawthornknitter Mon 05-Jan-15 20:28:43

The How to Train your Dragon books are narrated by David Tennant and are excellent. DD also enjoyed some Eva Ibbotson ones - Platform 13 and Ogre of Oglefort.

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Sun 11-Jan-15 19:01:52

Mr Stink by David Walliams - it's 3 CD's so quite long, but great for long journeys or at bedtime.

LizzieCrudge Mon 04-Jan-16 22:24:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now