Talk

Advanced search

book recommendations please for an 11 year old boy

(30 Posts)
var123 Mon 08-Dec-14 15:06:53

Can anyone suggest some fiction books for DS age 11? He's at an age where the Alex Rider books would be ideal but he say he doesn't like them.. so he's asking Diary of a Wimpy Kid (book no. zillion!) and book 9 in the Skulduggery series instead.

He's been reading these for two years and its time to move on. I got him to read Blart (loved it, read the series) but then he went back to the DOAWK stuff. I'd like to find his next big thing because he really enjoys reading but I am drawing a blank for ideas ever since the bookshop we used to go closed down.

Can anyone with older boys remember which books their children were into when they were 11?

TheReluctantCountess Mon 08-Dec-14 22:16:35

Darren Shan?

var123 Tue 09-Dec-14 09:34:57

I've never heard of Darren Shan but I just googled it and it looks good! The reviews sound positive.

Thank you. I will give them a try.

Cocolate Tue 09-Dec-14 09:38:55

The Cherub books - a brilliant (according to my 11 year old) series of books which the whole class (boys and girls) are enjoying. Michael Morpurgo too - his newest one "Listen to the Moon" I think and the hunger games books too.

var123 Tue 09-Dec-14 10:35:46

I have one of the Cherub books at home. DS1 (the older brother of the boy I am asking for) tried it and complained that there was "too much swearing" in it.

DS2 is a different person, so I will try him on them.

Is there a lot of swearing though?? DS1 can be a bit precious.

var123 Tue 09-Dec-14 10:38:33

We've got the Hunger Games at home too. Ds1 loved them, which usually means that Ds2 will not give them a fair try (on principle!)

I'll try the Hunger Games on Ds2 though as i am keen to get him to keep up the reading as he moves towards being a teenager.

Seeline Tue 09-Dec-14 11:10:04

From memory, there is a lot of swearing in the cherub books, and some quite adult themes too. I remember looking at them for my DS when he was about 10 and thinking, maybe not yet grin
My Ds did enjoy the Young James Bond books. Sort of Alex Rider, but obviously set in the 1920's/30's so not so far fetched. In the Bond style though.
He has recently read a Sherlock Holmes book which he seemed to enjoy.

Booksteensmagazines Tue 09-Dec-14 11:51:56

He could try these. They are all series and full of action the last two are dystopian.

bodyguard Histage by Chris Bradford

Jimmy Coates by Joe Craig

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

MetaWars by Jeff Norton.

chaosmonkey Tue 09-Dec-14 12:01:03

Have you tried to Eoin Coffer books (Artemis Fowl) - my boys loved them - along with everything ever written by Darren Shan... - they also love the Skulduggary pleasant books so it seems they're fairly similar.

DS2 who is 11 also loves Percy Jackson and the young samurai books...

What kind of 11 is he? DS1 has just finished game of thrones - he started them at 13 though - they're quite adult themed - but it put him off bratting to watch the series ('all my friends are allowed to watch it')

OOh - and Alex Scarrow's time riders too.

var123 Tue 09-Dec-14 13:49:59

He's quite mature for his age, which I think is normal for the youngest in the family?? At the moment, he has just discovered the Sherlock TV series on netflix and he's watching (and understanding) everything as far as I can tell.

var123 Tue 09-Dec-14 13:51:24

I might try game of thrones and alex scarrow too.

Ds2 is lazy.... we had book 1 of the Artemis fowl series on audio in the car. he enjoyed it but now he won't read book 2!

AntiDistinctlyMinty Tue 09-Dec-14 13:53:37

I'd second the Percy Jackson books, and the Kane Chronicles by Riordan. DNephew has just demolished them and is annoyed that there aren't more of them!

TheReluctantCountess Tue 09-Dec-14 18:37:54

Do have a look at The Book People - lots of the books mentioned can be bought from them for cheaper than elsewhere. They did have a box set of the Darren Shans a while ago.

var123 Tue 09-Dec-14 19:06:46

Its funny you should say that because I looked up the Darren Sham collection this morning on Book People. They were £15 +£2.95 delivery.

Then I looked it up on Amazon. The cheapest new price was £12.99 + £2.80 delivery ... from the Book people!

I'm not sure I understand the logic in that since surely they would have to pay Amazon a commission??

TheReluctantCountess Wed 10-Dec-14 18:34:09

I had a similar thing with The Works a few months ago - book was £1 cheaper with free postage from Amazon. It pays to shop around.

BoysiesBack Wed 10-Dec-14 19:02:40

I was going to say Michael Morpego too, his box set is £20 from The BookPeople at the moment.

Also, Percy Jackson and The Edge Chronicles are big favourites with DS.

AgnesDiPesto Fri 12-Dec-14 17:04:07

Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, Divergent, maze runner, cherub, wolf brother, department 19, gone, insignia series
Considine Curse.

var123 Tue 16-Dec-14 09:20:18

Jimmy Coates: Killer by Joe Craig is a good addition to the suggestions on this thread (I know I was the OP!).

We had a copy in the house. It belongs to DS1 but as he hadn't tried it, DS2 was willing to try it. He loved it: a couldn't put down page turner!. Its about 300 pages long and he read it cover to cover on Sunday. Now he's asking for the rest of the series.

On a separate point, I am having a book people sized problem. They use YODEL so the Darren Shan books I ordered last Tuesday have been out for delivery since Saturday but are not going to arrive until after Christmas.

LePetitMarseillais Tue 16-Dec-14 19:18:56

I have 11 yes old twin boys with diff tastes.

1 loved everything by Rick Riordan,Fablehaven series,Michelle Paver,the Itch books,Origami Yoda series etc.

His twin loved the Maximum Ride series,The medusa Project series,Ali Sparks,Anthony Horowitz Alex Rider series,Louis Sacher,Wonder,Time Riders,John Grisham Theodore Boone series,Laura Marlin books,Ruby Redfort books,Gone series,Rebecca Stead books.Currently into Michael Morpurgo strangely enough.He's having the first Spud book,Just Wiiliam set,Maze Runners set,Uglies set,A Boy Called Hope,Earth Fall by Mark Malden and a book about Steve Jobs for Christmas.

HTH

jkklpu Tue 16-Dec-14 19:23:14

Roman mysteries by Caroline Lawrence? maybe too young for him now

phoenixrose314 Tue 16-Dec-14 19:33:40

Harry Potter, Hunger Games, the Divergent series... My 11 year old devoured the lot.

Takver Thu 18-Dec-14 10:21:58

Very, very different, but it sounds like the boys in 12 y/o dd's friendship group like The Fault in Our Stars & other John Green books (possibly because their girlfriends are obsessed with them, though?).

DD also liked The Misfits and the rest of the series, again more character driven realistic books, which might be more his sort of thing if he's into Wimpy Kid.

var123 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:05:30

They are 12 and they have girlfriends??!

Takver Thu 18-Dec-14 13:35:12

It's all very virtual, var123 - they don't actually appear to spend any time with each other out of school or do anything than hang out in the same group at lunchtime and say 'X is my girlfriend/boyfriend' grin

var123 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:29:24

Just a small update... DS2 got the wolf brother (Chronicles of Darkness) and he LOVES it! What a good recommendation that was! (Thank you poster AgnesDiPesto!).

I actually bought it as an audiobook from audible and we all listened to it in the car when we had a long drive to do over Christmas, so the whole family listened to it. Its really very good.

I've now bought the rest of the series and the boys actually chose to listen to them every evening when they get home from school for as many hours as well we let them sit still, doing nothing.

I strongly recommend this book to any one else looking for books for pre-teens. Even I quite like it (and I don't usually like fantasy adventure type books at all).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: