Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for a well-written book with a Christmas element for an 8-year old

(23 Posts)

DD is 8. I am looking for a good book to read to her at bedtime. The last book she enjoyed was 'Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy'. I would like a Christmas element in the story ... have tried Enid Blyton's stories for Christmas, but they are really far too young. Any ideas??

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 02-Dec-14 20:06:20

The Glass Angels by Susan Hill.

Leeds2 Tue 02-Dec-14 20:07:12

Dicken's Christmas Carol.

Takver Tue 02-Dec-14 20:47:22

I keep recommending this, but definitely, definitely, definitely The Story of Holly and Ivy, it is absolutely perfect for an 8 year old.

I'd also agree that A Christmas Carol is lovely to read out loud, with the slight caveat that dd found the ghostly element a little scary, so we ended up reading it not at bed time.

Takver Tue 02-Dec-14 20:50:05

Oh, and of course, The Box of Delights.

Probably a little old for 8-at-bedtime, but maybe next year - The Dark is Rising

moonrocket Tue 02-Dec-14 21:12:50

Moominland Midwinter?

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe?

I was going to suggest The Box of Delights, but Takver beat me to it smile

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 02-Dec-14 22:36:41

it isn't very long but my 2 (eldest is 7) have just really enjoyed The Snowball by Barbara Sleigh - it is an old book and our copy is the one I had as a child but they loved it.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351137720944?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

northernlurker Tue 02-Dec-14 22:42:05

I would also HIGHLY recommend The Story of Holly and Ivy. Dd3 is 7 and she LOVED this.

Incidentally there is a Silver Cross rag doll available this Christmas called Holly.......

The Barbara Cooney illustrations are sensational too.

northernlurker Tue 02-Dec-14 22:42:26

Forgot a link

I love Rumer Godden ... mainly know her adult books. Will try Holly and Ivy, then The Box of Delights. Looking forward to the others ... thank you for all your ideas!

MollyBdenum Wed 03-Dec-14 06:59:25

This year I am reading DD (8) Holly and Ivy, Reindeer Girl and The Children of Green Knowe.

smokinggnu Thu 04-Dec-14 09:27:22

Jeanette Winterson wrote a lovely Christmas story about the donkey. It's short, but the imagery has always delighted my children (possibly a bit young but then an older child might find it more moving).

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Thu 04-Dec-14 09:31:39

mine loved Tumtum and Nutmeg's Christmas adventure - and re-read it at Christmas now themselves - aged 12 and 13... by Emily Bearn

I am going to have an entire Christmas library at this rate ... will be able to stock up for years to come! I am also a primary school teacher and am now taking notes for the class next year.

sallysparrow157 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:40:30

The snow spider is wintery rather than Christmassy but may fit the bill. My first thought reading this was The dark is rising, which I still read every winter, but probably a bit scary for an 8yr old

sallysparrow157 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:45:03

We did the snow spider in primary school, it's a good book to do as there's quite a few projects you can use it as a starting point from, from welsh myths and legends to using natural ingredients to make fabric dyes, if you then read the next in the series, emlyn's moon, nia makes a fabric collage of her village which is a nice class art project

I had forgotten about Jenny Nimmo ... I love The Dark Is Rising myself, but maybe not just before going to sleep ...

Leeds2 Sat 06-Dec-14 21:27:35

If you want something more "fun" - for want of a better word - Christmas With The One Hundred Mile An Hour Dog by Jeremy Strong would be worth a try. That might not be the exact title, but should be searchable.

LePetitMarseillais Sun 07-Dec-14 08:16:37

Yy to all the above.

Little House in the Big Woods was loved by my lot last year.

beatricequimby Sat 20-Dec-14 22:50:59

YY to Holly and Ivy. There is another Rumer Godden one called The Fairy Doll which also has a Christmas theme. There is also an American classic called Nancy and Plum which starts and finishes at Christmas. It isy 8 yr old dd's favourite book. By Betty MacDonald and the current edition has an intro by Jacqueline Wilson saying it was favourite children's book.

DeWee Mon 22-Dec-14 13:40:42

Ones ds has enjoyed include:
Winter Holiday (Arthur Ransome), which is winter not Christmas,
The Long Winter (Laura Ingles Wilder)
Storm Ahead (ends with Christmas) by Monica Edwards
And at present I'm reading him "Wings over Witchend" by Malcolm Saville.

alexpolistigers Sat 27-Dec-14 12:43:49

This one is free on Kindle at the moment

Christmas in Greece

Colyngbourne Sun 28-Dec-14 19:48:02

The More the Merrier by Anne Fine is a briliant Xmastime story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now