Talk

Advanced search

Searching for lost children's book

(5 Posts)
soonguy Wed 26-Nov-14 17:36:21

I'd love to reconnnect with a children's book we had from our local
library years back, but despite extensive online searching, can find no trace of it, as cannot remember or even guess at the title.

It's an illustrated short children's book from c. 1990, for readers perhaps 5 - 9. The young heroine (age 8-ish) is not good at timekeeping, and is often late for tea. She feels therefore that 'time is a monster, marching on'. She makes friends with the clockwinder of the town hall clock, asks him about the nature of time, and he kindly on one occasion puts the clock back 5 minutes, so that she does not seem late for tea. It has a mainland European feel to it. Possibly it was translated from the Dutch.

Does it ring a bell with anyone? Thanks.

Would your library not have a record on their computer, or are we talking pre-computer years when it was borrowed?

I can't say it's a story that sounds familiar to me at all, but I'm now intrigued!

soonguy Thu 27-Nov-14 15:08:12

Thanks. Yes, back in the day, although our big city library was computerised, the small village library and the library van were not. It would have been one of those we used. If I find the title, I will post it here!

soonguy Thu 11-Dec-14 15:54:03

I found it, on the wonderful page
www.oldchildrensbooks.com/looking-for-a-book
if ever you are searching for a forgotten book name.

It is
Title: Nobody Has Time for Me: A Modern Fairy Tale
Author: Skutina, Vladimir
and I managed to order it on AbeBooks for pennies from USA.

Clawdy Mon 15-Dec-14 20:48:42

I went on that page but found it really confusing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now