Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

mockingjay

(26 Posts)
sarahbarah Sat 22-Nov-14 21:36:16

i suppose i'm a killjoy but wont let my 11yr old daughter watch new hunger games mockingjay 1 movie with friends , unhappy daughter! aibu

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Nov-14 21:38:29

yes, you are u, it is not scary and doesnt have fighting/killing in it. I took my 11 year old dd to see it today (she and ds aged 8 have seen the first 2 movies too which were much more harrowing than the 3rd one)

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Nov-14 21:38:52

has she read the books?

sarahbarah Sat 22-Nov-14 21:48:55

no, which was my argument, and happy she watch it at home with me first after she has read them , also she sleeps very poorly and often after dark tv shows i'm not a fan of horror movies and each child is an individual, but peer pressure is awful, she feels she will be teased, thats

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 22-Nov-14 21:49:43

I found the second half of the book quite harrowing, and I'm 42.

GetTheRedOut Sat 22-Nov-14 21:52:42

The second half has some quite horrible bits, not sure how it will translate into film, but the first half is just Katniss being the face of the rebellion. There's nothing in it that an 11 yr old can't see. I'd say let her see it.

sarahbarah Sat 22-Nov-14 21:54:43

think i will go with her!!

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Nov-14 22:00:38

mockingjay part 1 has no real harrowing bits in - they must be saving that for part 2!

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 23-Nov-14 06:26:42

DS and I saw it yesterday and he's 11. I didn't think there was anything untoward in it, in fact there is more violence in the first two if anything.

rocketeer Sun 23-Nov-14 06:33:00

If she hasn't seen the first two then this one won't make much sense! Can you watch the first two with her first?

sarahbarah Sun 23-Nov-14 07:49:04

I think she just wants to go on trip out but as lo g as she is prepared she is veryscared of things Ebola and beheadings in media cause her to fret at night for hrs I read there was executions

sarahbarah Sun 23-Nov-14 08:01:21

She actually admits she only wants to be with her friends and doesn't have any interest in the movie she would rather see the nativity movie but for her friends it is this movie or nothing!

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Nov-14 08:10:04

It is a 12A so they would need an adult with them to see it if they are 11.

Sounds like you're right to be strict on this for her sake. My dd is going with a friend tonight but she's 15. ds (13) probably not going with them - I thought keep it a girl's night with her friend for dd (though she was all for asking ds along to it too)

sarahbarah Sun 23-Nov-14 13:30:48

I'm not an expert but always thought it was only admitted 12 accompanied by an adult but it seems kids younger also can be admitted by an adult is that correct thanks

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 23-Nov-14 14:07:23

12 year olds can attend alone.
Under 12s can only be admitted with an adult.

Takver Sun 23-Nov-14 14:54:28

"it is not scary and doesnt have fighting/killing in it"

WTAF confused I'm 45, and I had to take my glasses off for large parts of it!

DD age 12 (yr 8 going on 13) and heartless was fine, but she said her friend sitting with her nearly broke her hand clutching it at the stressful bits grin

Personally I wouldn't let an 11 year old with a tendency to fret see it. Sure, there may not be lots of open bloodshed, but, just for example, the scene where a field hospital gets carpet bombed is pretty horrific even if you don't actually see the results. Also, the scenes of the aftermath of the bombing of District 12 are pretty grim (piled skeletons).

forago Sun 23-Nov-14 14:58:31

yahbu I have read the books and seen the first 2 movies, I wouldnt let my 10 year old read or see them for another couple of years

WookieCookiee Sun 23-Nov-14 15:08:48

I have only read the books, and like a pp I found Mockingjay quite harrowing. I'm not sure how true to the book the film is, if it's close then not really suitable for 11 year olds IMO, more because of the torture (it's implied rather than described but can be imagined IYSWIM). Maybe wait a year or so, especially if she's reacted to recent news stories.

I'm going to watch them before I let DS see them; apparently his friend's seen it already but DS can't watch Doctor Who without leaving the room so I feel I'm making the right choice grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Nov-14 15:16:20

Dr who is much worse than anything on any of the Hunger Games, I don't really get all the angst about it tbh and ds is a sensitive little soul.

Has she seen the first one op?

MirandaWest Sun 23-Nov-14 15:16:55

DS is 11 and he and I went to see Mockingjay last night. We've read all the books and seen both the other films. This one did have an execution and skulls of dead people but overall I think less harrowing than the other films.

I also agree that the second part of Mockingjay will be more harrowing but I'll be happy for DS to see that one too.

I think it's better for having read the book first and I'm glad I read them to/with DS rather than him reading them on his own as it meant we could discuss them as we went along.

MirandaWest Sun 23-Nov-14 15:18:16

Not that DS could have gone to see the film without an adult as he's under 12 but I wouldn't have wanted him to anyway iyswim.

Takver Sun 23-Nov-14 16:13:57

DameDiazepam - I think the difference is that Mockingjay is far more realistic than Dr Who, perhaps? I'm more than happy for dd to watch it as I found it a thought provoking and well made film, and Katniss is an interesting heroine, but I could well imagine it causing nightmares in a child prone to them.

BeattieBow Sun 23-Nov-14 19:57:45

I took my 11 and 9 year old dds today. there was nothing unsuitable in it at all imo.

We were talking about it afterwards and they were fine.

Hulababy Sun 23-Nov-14 20:00:56

My 12y is going to see it next weekend with friends.
She has read, and loved, all the books and has enjoyed the last two films.
I don't go - not my thing at all. But DH has been to the previous two with her and he has enjoyed them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now