Talk

Advanced search

Celebrate Alfie's Christmas by entering our Christmas decoration comp for chance to win a mini micro scooter

(41 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Nov-14 13:29:25

Shirley Hughes' Alfie books have been entertaining pre-school readers for over 30 years and when Alfie's Christmas was published last year our giveaway was met with glowing reviews from Mumsnetters. One reader remarked 'I think reading it will become a Christmas tradition in our house!'

To celebrate Alfie's Christmas this year Random House Children's books are running a competition to find the best home-made Christmas decorations. We want you to take a pic of your creations (or those made by your dcs) and upload it to this thread. The winner will receive an award winning red Mini Micro Scooter just like Alfie's and two runners up will each receive a copy of Alfie's Christmas book.

Post up your pictures of your creations before Sunday 14th December and the winner will be announced on Monday 15th.

Shirley Hughes' latest book A Year of Stories is a beautiful treasury filled with tales and poems for every month of the year and includes some of the Alfie Stories. Find out more about the book and download the Alfie activity sheets.

This competition is sponsored by Random House Children's books.

sarahjackjasper Mon 17-Nov-14 21:03:41

We have made salt dough shapes of decorations.

katiewalters Mon 17-Nov-14 22:00:01

Made cards, star decorations for the tree and a reindeer for on top of the tree

melanieclare2002 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:08:18

My three year old decorated cardboard baubles and paper snowflakes with glitter and glue and I threaded them onto ribbon to make decorations smile

farsleymoose Mon 17-Nov-14 22:29:51

Here is a picture of this years home made advent calendar made for my three kids, each have their own road with 24 houses!

ShayT Sun 23-Nov-14 05:59:35

We made Gobble Dangles Earrings for Thanksgiving!

sealight123 Sun 23-Nov-14 21:48:22

Here is what my little one and my partner made whilst I was at work. (no fair that I have to miss out waaaah lol) It is beautiful! So much so that my auntie and mum want us to make them one too smile

sjonlegs Mon 01-Dec-14 20:37:09

My daughter and I made some lovely Christmas cookies to hang on the tree ... Unfortunately we'll have to make some more - as they're so tasty they're almost gone already! she even took 2 into school for her teachers and theirs got gobbled up too! GULP! #anyexcuse

DuelingFanjo Tue 02-Dec-14 11:39:25

We made Dough decorations with an abundance of glitter and mess. Also had a full on crafting and decorations day.

I made an advent calendar with envelopes to go up the stairs.

Jammie99 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:39:46

My gorgeous snowman handprint bauble made by my little man - love it ⛄️

DuelingFanjo Tue 02-Dec-14 11:39:49

Advent thingy

TenMinutesEarly Tue 02-Dec-14 13:20:09

We made a polymer clay nativity set. It has pride of place on the fireplace! My son made the three kings carrying gold, Frankenstein and myrrh! ��

Tigerlily13 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:45:03

My 3 year old made this clay reindeer!

Loula117 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:58:51

Aah these are all gorgeous! I love making Christmas stuff. Here's my angel made of pasta (with cous-cous hair!), wreath from wrapping paper and a cereal box, and my scrabble tile decorations ('Gin' is my favourite, obviously).

RhubarbAndMustard Wed 03-Dec-14 10:27:35

My DS (2.5) made these Christmas door hangers.

SomethingFunny Thu 04-Dec-14 10:09:17

Wreath made from my children's hand prints and the berries are their finger prints. It is very precious to me! I fully intend to still be putting it up when my children have their own children.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Dec-14 11:07:52

Thanks to all those who have entered the comp so far- there's some brilliant creations here. For those who have yet to enter - you may find inspiration by watching our latest youtube video for instructions on how to make a super-easy homemade Christmas wreath. No fancy tools or special equipment needed, just some string and some clippers, plus whatever you can find in the garden. Bling fairy lights optional. Watch the video, make your own wreath and upload a pic of it to this thread to enter the competition.

thewomaninwhite Thu 04-Dec-14 16:10:22

Made by my three year old smile

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Thu 04-Dec-14 21:13:09

Very pleased with my crochet wreath. Loving all the kids' decorations. DS is a bit young, he'd rather eat them all smile

Umlauf Thu 04-Dec-14 21:13:34

Ohhh go on then! This is my wreath - it is all crocheted. It was my learn-to-crochet project so there are some really awful bits in it, but I like the end result.

catwomanga Thu 04-Dec-14 22:36:21

Magic Reindeer Food - bird seed and oats with real magic fairy dust. Get the kids to sprinkle it on the lawn on Christmas Eve. The fairy dust (or edible glitter) will glow at midnight to guide Santa's sleigh to your house and when the reindeer eat the stuff, it'll help them fly really high! We've been making it for years and it hasn't let Rudolf down yet. Every year I make some for the school fair, turn some into Christmas cards for our younger rellies, and put a ribbon on ours to hang on the tree ready for Christmas Eve. We personalise them with glasses, eyebrows, sparkly gems, etc. We gather twigs on our walks throughout the year, then match them up to make antlers, which I hot glue in place. The eyes and nose I stick down with sticky dots, the rest is Pritt Stick and sellotape. Easy (unless you plan on making a hundred.)

wannabestressfree Fri 05-Dec-14 16:07:21

Our tree is a homage to the home made. It reminds me as they are growing of Christmas past and the lovely things they have done.
Incidentally my 'Alfie' is 18 next year smile

laurabambam Sat 06-Dec-14 12:59:32

After watching the how to make a Christmas wreath video I felt inspired and my 3 yr old son and I had a go. We didn't have any ivy so cheated with wire and different greenery from the garden. My mum also helped and we're very pleased with the end result!

noideawhattoget Mon 08-Dec-14 14:57:09

i enjoy making beaded decorations. they have been ever so popular with friends and family, and i may start making them for school fete's etc.

HoHoHappyHolidays Tue 09-Dec-14 12:14:24

Made from 2 gift decorations stuck together with a ribbon in the middle for hanging smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now