Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for contemporary adventure or mystery stories

(15 Posts)
Dobble Wed 05-Nov-14 10:31:20

For the age group 8 to 11 years? Nothing that involves zombies or demons or anything of the sort, just nice realistic fiction please, set in the present. Do they exist?

ConkerTime Wed 05-Nov-14 10:34:54

Not entirely realistic as they involve globe trotting, but the "A Dog called Grk" series went down well here with a child who didn't enjoy fantasy stories.

iseenodust Wed 05-Nov-14 10:45:49

Diamond brothers series by Horowitz - some are short & some longer.
Zoobreak by Korman (if you don't mind a few Americanisms).

ConkerTime Wed 05-Nov-14 10:52:02

Eva Ibbotson's One Dog and his Boy would fit the bill too I think.

SavoyCabbage Wed 05-Nov-14 11:11:44

My dd just devoured "the 39 clues" series. I have no idea if they are good, but she didn't look up for a week.

Achangeisadgoodasarest Wed 05-Nov-14 11:24:29

My dd loves the Lauren St John books, some kind if mystery detective series thingy, can't remember the name now!

schmalex Wed 05-Nov-14 12:58:24

Dead Man's Cove is the first of the Lauren St John ones.

Seeline Wed 05-Nov-14 13:10:36

I was going to recommend the Lauren St John books - DD loved them. The Laura Marlin Mysteries.
the Alex Rider stories are good too - bit more James Bond in style, so depends how realistic you want them!

emmaMBC Wed 05-Nov-14 14:23:05

Oooo you must try The Secret Hen House Theatre - adventure style novel. Brilliant.

Cowgirl is another great one. Set in Wales. The main characters fights to save local cows & farm - it is truly good!

If you fancy a little bit of fantasy - main character disappears into the world of a book her mum is writing - then try Finding Serendipity, wonderfully written!

wearymum200 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:33:42

Helen Moss Adventure Island series
The Laura Marlin ones are really good
Heard good things about Ruby Redfort books by Lauren Child but haven't tried them yet
The Messenger Bird

3bunnies Thu 06-Nov-14 06:13:16

Dd1 also loves the Helen Moss books - I would describe them as Enid Blyton Mystery stories with mobile phones but dd1 refutes that as she hates EB!

Slightly less believable but dd1's favourite book series is the Land of Stories - two children find themselves in the land of red ridding hood but time has moved on and the characters have other things on their mind, it involves a little magic but the main focus is on the characters and their interaction. I enjoyed reading them too so definitely worth borrowing from the library.

antimatter Thu 06-Nov-14 06:16:28

My dd liked re-reading Un lun dun when she was 10-11.

IndianMummy Thu 06-Nov-14 11:23:58

the black cat detectives are nice and realistic and contemporary

Dobble Fri 07-Nov-14 11:05:59

Thank you, these are great. Have made loads of reservations at the library. We've done one Laura Marling one, something about the Kentucky Derby, but had forgotten about them. Already finished with Diamond Brothers and Helen Moss (they are SO Enid Blyton 3bunnies grin), so appreciate the loads of good suggestions here.

For anyone else looking for suggestions, I came across The Mystery of Wickworth Manor the other day. It's a nice little contemporary realistic mystery based (fictionally) on the painting "The Negro Coachboy". Involves a bit of woo stuff as the main character is crackers.

DeWee Fri 07-Nov-14 19:08:10

The London Eye mystery is quite well written. it's written from the point of view of a lad who is on the autistic spectrum. Well done, enough so you remember that, but not so much it seems forced.

Second Alex Rider. Although if she's easily traumatised you might want to have a flick through first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now