Talk

Advanced search

Any good poetry books where the poems can be acted out?

(9 Posts)
simpson Tue 04-Nov-14 23:24:00

It is to be used in the classroom for reception/yr1 age kids.

Atm I have used "Stomp, Chomp big roars, here come the dinosaurs!" so something around that level would be good.

Thanks smile

MBDBBB Wed 05-Nov-14 06:51:54

Maybe the Gruffalo or similar rhyming stories? My son (4 yrs) has just done the Gruffalo as a topic at school incorporating woodland animals etc. they had a dress up day and used the story for role play/acting out. He loved it!

simpson Wed 05-Nov-14 07:40:40

Thanks smile

I have just thought of Going on a bear hunt too.

DeWee Wed 05-Nov-14 09:40:28

Roald Dahl's revolting rhymes.
Dd1 and dd2 did these in year 1. They learnt the poems and acted them out as a class.

Ds did "Heard it in the playground", which I think is in: www.amazon.co.uk/Heard-Playground-Puffin-Books-Ahlberg/dp/0140328246
He loved it, but it did go on a bit too long I thought.

mabelbabel Wed 05-Nov-14 09:45:50

Wriggle and Roar is quite good. Short poems though, rather than one long story. Most could incorporate some actions and sound effects!

Quangle Wed 05-Nov-14 12:39:36

How about Matilda and the other cautionary tales. DCs love acting that one out, being firemen etc. Grisly but good.

Or they love a book called Dragon Stew which is rhyming and fun, mainly for the "oooh me bum" line. Can you get away with that in school?

simpson Wed 05-Nov-14 17:53:18

Wriggle & Roar looks perfect, thanks! grin

It is for kids who are lowest ability wise with a short attention span.

Thanks for all the suggestions smile

mabelbabel Wed 05-Nov-14 22:34:54

smile it was one of my kids favourites.

SkaterGrrrrl Tue 11-Nov-14 16:21:07

We act out Room on the Broom (with broom, toy animals & wand etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now