Talk

Advanced search

Short, funny books for 9yo struggling reader?

(34 Posts)
MrSheen Mon 03-Nov-14 14:18:25

Can anyone recommend anything for DD?

The only book she has ever liked was Georges Marvellous Medicine. She hasn't stuck with any of the other Roald Dahls. David Walliams a bit tricky. She can't keep a thought in her head so short is essential. She doesn't like books that are obviously targeted at boys (stuff about underpants etc). Her reading is quite poor but I don't want anything too babyish iyswim but picture books are fine.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 03-Nov-14 15:28:00

Ottoline is very good and there are a few in the series.

here they're funny and well illustrated.

Booksteensmagazines Mon 03-Nov-14 16:03:07

Eoin Colfer's books - The Legend of Spud Murphy or Captain Crow's Teeth. Weel written, funny, short, a few drawings. Excellent books

Takver Mon 03-Nov-14 19:40:41

Daisy and the Trouble With series by Kes Gray?

Short and sweet, they tend to say age 6+ but I think actually more suitable in terms of story for a 9 y/o, I don't think she'd find them at all babyish.

Has she read any Jeremy Strong? The series that starts with "my dad's got an alligator" (then my granny's great escape, my mum's going to explode, my brother's famous bottom etc etc) is a big hit here with both DS and DD. He's written loads and they are funny with short chapters and some pictures.
HTH

wearymum200 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:05:45

Maybe aimed at 7+, but not babyish
Penny Dreadful
Claude series
Madame pamplemousse

LocalVelvet Mon 03-Nov-14 20:13:23

Colin and the Curly Claw is funny and short, and stands repetition - all the family can join insmile

And the Anna Hibiscus books are entertaining and funny too.

And my so called super sophisticated dd at 13 can still be amused by a Naughty Little Sister story, don't tell anyone....

Or the Worst Witch books? Or even just Winnie the Witch?

Or, last one, The Witch's Dog ?

MrSheen Mon 03-Nov-14 20:36:09

Thanks everyone

Tried and didn't like
Jeremy Strong (boring)
Daisy books (moany)
Eoin Colfer (All about boys)
Worst Witch
Winnie the witch
My Naughty Little Sister
(can't remember the particular shortcomings of those last ones)
Also rejected Jaquiline Wilson,Judy Moody, Clarice Bean and Enid Blyton and various other things that other people love.

I'll take a look at the others. The Ottoline ones look like they might do it but she is unbearably fussy.

She's dc3 (of 4 - dc4 is a similar reading level) and dc1 reads night and day so we have acres of books. I wouldn't mind her being one of those people who doesn't really read much if she could read a bit better but she is really at the stage where she needs to read to improve her reading.

She also doesn't like comics.

She does like poetry

Getting quite close to the end of my rope with her tbh.

Takver Tue 04-Nov-14 08:48:51

Have you tried her on non-fiction? Esp if she has any particular interests - our library had loads of non fiction on all sorts of topics, and I remember dd found them easier when she was learning as it tended to be shorter amounts of text and lots of illustrations. Also remember a friend of dd's who wouldn't read at all other than books on tractors and agricultural machinery for ages.

deXavia Tue 04-Nov-14 08:55:33

I second non fiction - definitely helped DS become more interested in reading, from there he switched back to fiction. He liked the books that were more like encyclopedias with pictures that he could dip in and out of especially if it was a subject he liked - for him it was history. Maybe worth exploring - we took him to a library (without younger sibling about to focus on him) and then talked through different types of books. Obviously he'd been to book shops and libraries but that trip/chat seemed to be a real eye opener in terms of why you would want to read which spurred him on to practise

CaulkheadUpNorth Tue 04-Nov-14 09:02:58

If she likes poetry i would focus there for now. There are some great children's anthologies, especially humorous ones.

Other than that, book wise I would try
Barrington Stoke's books.
Anne Fine (angel of nitshill road)
The Ramona Quimby series
David Walliams books.

Snapespotions Tue 04-Nov-14 09:05:39

How about the Mr Gum series? They're quite funny and easy to read - not too many words on a page.

Snapespotions Tue 04-Nov-14 09:25:46

www.amazon.co.uk/Youre-Bad-Man-Mr-Gum/dp/1405223103

MrSheen Tue 04-Nov-14 10:56:27

We haven't had much luck with non fiction. She will look at the picture but she doesn't read the words. She loves Horrible Histories (and history in general) but the books are far to hard for her.

She read the first Mr. Gum and didn't seem to mind it too much but won't read the others (we've got them all)

She was quite excited about David Walliams because she knew her friends liked them but she couldn't read them and got frustrated.

She did read an Anne Fine once (killer cat?) and I think that was OK. I'll have a look at the others.

She loves going to the library and will happily choose a stack of books but she won't read the damn things once we get home.

The Penny Dreadful ones sound great but I know she will hate the cartoony cover. I think I'll get one and rip the front off hmm

I know it sounds like I'm dismissing everything, but I really am grateful. Thankyou.

Snapespotions Tue 04-Nov-14 13:31:02

I assume that Diary of a Wimpy Kid would be too cartoony?

Do you still read to her? Sometimes it can help to take the pressure off a bit, and just get her to enjoy the stories. Could you try reading David Walliams aloud? If she enjoys it, it might just be enough to spur her on.

BlueChampagne Tue 04-Nov-14 13:40:36

The Giggler Treatment

BlueChampagne Tue 04-Nov-14 13:41:23

You could try a joke book in her Christmas stocking.

Bearleigh Tue 04-Nov-14 13:46:47

My ds loved the Geronimo Stilton books - they are Italian cartoons, about mice and their adventures, well-translated into English with some great jokes, and chees-based puns. They may be bit young but are worth looking at for the humour. Can be difficult to track down.

dinkystinky Tue 04-Nov-14 13:51:21

Suddenly the milk by Neil Gaiman - short, funny, ridiculous.

DS loves the diary of a wimpy kid books.

Jenny70 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:12:40

Geronimo stilton and thea stilton are comic-like, but chapter books.
Andy griffiths - treehouse series very funny and appeals to older readers but is simple to read. Also bad book (2 of them?) Is funny, easy read
Wimpy kid books
My dd loves ej12 spy books, not sure how difficult they are to read

IndianMummy Wed 05-Nov-14 10:26:12

Mine just read Nina and the Magical Carnival, by Madhvi Ramani - it's short and appeals to girls - carnival in Brazil, costumes and magic and all that.

TheBigBumTheory Wed 05-Nov-14 10:34:08

The Roal Dahl audiobooks are lovely and could get her enthusiastic- could she read along with those? It would also help her concentration span.

iseenodust Wed 05-Nov-14 10:53:43

The incredible diary of pig went down well with DS age9.
Mudpuddle farm series by Michael Morpurgo - the easiest series by him with some illustrations but not babyish, the humour is quite dry.

iseenodust Wed 05-Nov-14 10:56:50

Jeff the witch's chef is a funny short rhyming book (hints of Hansel & Gretel).

wearymum200 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:28:12

Revolting rhymes?
Puffin book of nonsense verse
Dd's latest favourite stories are Agatha Parrot ones, cover less cartoony than Penny Dreadful
The Danger Zone books are like easier versions of Horrible histories, all called "avoid being a....."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now