Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for 11 year old

(10 Posts)
frozenmad Mon 03-Nov-14 12:07:20

I'm looking for ideas for my DD, she's almost 11 & her ability is above her reading age but she is quite young for her age & doesn't like scary books. She loves David Walliams & Roald Dahl. Has enjoyed Michael Morpurgo & Anne Fine. She's not mad on Jacqueline Wilson or anything too girly. If you can recommend any books that would be great. TIA

Booksteensmagazines Mon 03-Nov-14 13:23:11

Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell - beautiful writing, gentle story
The Bubble Wrap Boy by Phil Earle - funny story with a point to make
Soldier Dog by Sam Angus - in the style of Michael Morpurgo about dogs used in WW1

BlueChampagne Mon 03-Nov-14 13:43:44

Apologies if she's alread read these:

The Little White Horse (Elizabeth Goudge)
Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Joan Aitken)
The Children of Green Knowe (Lucy M Boston)
The Dark is Rising (Susan Cooper)
A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula K Le Guin)
The Wool-pack (Cynthia Harnett)

Hmm, all female authors, but not particularly girly, maybe because they're older? I also enjoyed Children of the New Forest, and Swallows and Amazons, and anything by Gerald Durrell at about that age.

Takver Mon 03-Nov-14 19:37:33

Has she read any Eva Ibbotson, if not I'm sure she'd like Journey to the River Sea + various others of hers (some are aimed at a younger age group, so check before buying)

Enb76 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:44:39

My Friend Flicka - Mary O'Hara
Any of the Ottoline books - Chris Riddell

LeBearPolar Mon 03-Nov-14 19:48:34

DS - also an advanced reader of 11 - enjoys The Roman Mysteries by (I think) Caroline Lawrence, Artemis Fowl, The Time Riders, Percy Jackson (not at all girly but some strong female characters)...

Inkspellme Mon 03-Nov-14 20:46:06

The Indian in the cupboard.
The secret garden.
percy jackson series.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 03-Nov-14 20:56:52

Walter moers. Expectionsl outlandish comic fantasy. Lots of obscure words so great go re pandit vocabulary.

Phillip Pullman.

Terry pratchett.

Sue Townsend

Bill Bryson

HerrenaHarridan Mon 03-Nov-14 20:58:06

This one

frozenmad Wed 05-Nov-14 12:21:03

Fantastic, thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: