Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for 11 year old

(10 Posts)
frozenmad Mon 03-Nov-14 12:07:20

I'm looking for ideas for my DD, she's almost 11 & her ability is above her reading age but she is quite young for her age & doesn't like scary books. She loves David Walliams & Roald Dahl. Has enjoyed Michael Morpurgo & Anne Fine. She's not mad on Jacqueline Wilson or anything too girly. If you can recommend any books that would be great. TIA

Booksteensmagazines Mon 03-Nov-14 13:23:11

Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell - beautiful writing, gentle story
The Bubble Wrap Boy by Phil Earle - funny story with a point to make
Soldier Dog by Sam Angus - in the style of Michael Morpurgo about dogs used in WW1

BlueChampagne Mon 03-Nov-14 13:43:44

Apologies if she's alread read these:

The Little White Horse (Elizabeth Goudge)
Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Joan Aitken)
The Children of Green Knowe (Lucy M Boston)
The Dark is Rising (Susan Cooper)
A Wizard of Earthsea (Ursula K Le Guin)
The Wool-pack (Cynthia Harnett)

Hmm, all female authors, but not particularly girly, maybe because they're older? I also enjoyed Children of the New Forest, and Swallows and Amazons, and anything by Gerald Durrell at about that age.

Takver Mon 03-Nov-14 19:37:33

Has she read any Eva Ibbotson, if not I'm sure she'd like Journey to the River Sea + various others of hers (some are aimed at a younger age group, so check before buying)

Enb76 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:44:39

My Friend Flicka - Mary O'Hara
Any of the Ottoline books - Chris Riddell

LeBearPolar Mon 03-Nov-14 19:48:34

DS - also an advanced reader of 11 - enjoys The Roman Mysteries by (I think) Caroline Lawrence, Artemis Fowl, The Time Riders, Percy Jackson (not at all girly but some strong female characters)...

Inkspellme Mon 03-Nov-14 20:46:06

The Indian in the cupboard.
The secret garden.
percy jackson series.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 03-Nov-14 20:56:52

Walter moers. Expectionsl outlandish comic fantasy. Lots of obscure words so great go re pandit vocabulary.

Phillip Pullman.

Terry pratchett.

Sue Townsend

Bill Bryson

HerrenaHarridan Mon 03-Nov-14 20:58:06

This one

frozenmad Wed 05-Nov-14 12:21:03

Fantastic, thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now