Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations to read to a 6yr old

(14 Posts)
AmericasTorturedBrow Mon 03-Nov-14 06:16:08

DS is just six and a year behind as we're in the US where they start school at 5, so he's just learning to read. We read to him every bedtime and finding now that the old picture books while he loves them maybe need upgrading. I've worked through all the earlier Roald Dahl books but he's not ready for Charlie, Mathilda et al

Any recommendations to read to him that aren't covered in pictures but aren't totally picture free either.

We have plenty of books for him to Practise reading, this is for bedtimes when he just wants to sit back and listen to a good story

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Nov-14 06:26:06

I have read all the Roald Dahl's to my 6 yo. He loves them, and did at 4 when I started reading them when he had Chicken Pox.

We have also read:
The Winnie the Pooh books
Flat Stanley series
Katie Morag books (longer picture books, rather than chapter books)
Paddington Bear series (a little dated now)
The Worst Witch series (he inexplicably loves these)
Horrid Henry (I hate these!)
Fairy Tales

Takver Mon 03-Nov-14 10:24:58

The No. 1 Car Spotter series by Atinuke is very good, as is her other series Anna Hibiscus.

Leeds2 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:35:05

Mr Gum series.

Mr Majeika series.

tombotyler Mon 03-Nov-14 20:42:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AmericasTorturedBrow Tue 04-Nov-14 15:37:09

Thanks everyone!

emmaMBC Wed 05-Nov-14 14:29:22

Try The Grunts series very similar in style in Roald Dahl, in terms of the great humour.

Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman is lots of fun.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 05-Nov-14 21:49:35

mine liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at that age, and The Naughtiest Girl in the School, The Worst Witch (neither naughtiest girl or worst witch are girly), The Enchanted Wood and Magic Faraway Tree, currently enjoying at 5 and 7, The Bullerby Children (Astrid Lindgren - think it is Children of Noisy Village in the USA).

The Lighthouse Keeper, Katie Morag and Percy the Park Keeper are all longer picture story books.

Passthecake30 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:54:32

Curious George is a favourite here

SophieBarringtonWard Wed 05-Nov-14 22:02:04

Lots of those suggested also

Emil books and Lotta books by Astrid Lindgren, and Pippi Longstocking of course!
We love Milly Molly Mandy

Also have lots of collections of stories from when I was a kid like Tell Me Another Story and Stories for 5 Year Olds ed Corrin that have fantastic tales in.

SophieBarringtonWard Wed 05-Nov-14 22:05:23

Oh Dick King Smith has loads of suitable books - the Sophie books, The Finger Eater, the Twin Giants - we got a Bookpeople box set with them all in.

AmericasTorturedBrow Thu 06-Nov-14 01:41:23

oh yes Dick King Smith!!!

humblebumble Thu 06-Nov-14 02:18:19

I read Stuart Little, he has been read Charlotte's Web in school, I have also read Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree trilogy. I thought Roald Dahl was too scary for my DS, but he loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Mercy Pig books are fun, he also liked the Ramona books (although they seem very dated).

AmericasTorturedBrow Thu 06-Nov-14 14:40:13

Well I've bought the Charlie trilogy and he seems really into Mathilda so we'll give it a go but he still want some picturey books as well as a bit of Mathilda in the evenings so will have a look at all suggested and spend a small fortune at the book people, any excuse really wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now