Talk

Advanced search

Easy chapter books

(9 Posts)
3bunnies Thu 30-Oct-14 21:09:41

Ds wants some books for Christmas and I thought I would try to get a series of easy chapter books, he is currently on white (level 10), so some that he can grow into. I am looking for the 'boy' equivalent of rainbow fairies (in terms of reading level, hopefully not as formulaic). He definitely wants 'boy books' but he's not massively into boys stuff. He likes dinosaurs, space, knights etc. He enjoyed listening to the Hobbit and David Walliams over the summer. We already have Roald Dahl books. He likes history and would probably enjoy an easy mystery book. Any ideas?

wearymum200 Fri 31-Oct-14 18:20:47

Magic tree house, Dinosaur Cove, Astrosaurs, Superpowers series by Alex Cliff, Stone Goblins and the other goblin books by David Melling. The closest boy equivalent to rainbow fairies is Beast Quest (but still v formulaic), they are dull to read aloud but ds1 loved them in y1

3bunnies Fri 31-Oct-14 18:52:06

Brilliant thanks. They all look up his street. The magic tree house and dinosaur cove ones are on offer at the book people. Which would you say is easier? Hoping he will be able to read some of them to us.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 31-Oct-14 22:45:16

Have a look at Dirty Bertie books and Captain Underpants too, but like the pp says, if you want the equivalent of Rainbow Fairies its BeastQuest smile

3bunnies Fri 31-Oct-14 23:10:35

I have ordered dinosaur cove and themagic tree house as it was 15% off and free delivery over £ 10. No great desire to return to rainbow fairy days - dd1 wanted them every night for about 18 months, still gathering dust on her shelf. Dd2 wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - she has requested biographies for Christmas - she doesn't see the point of fiction unless Roald Dahl or David Walliams. I just wanted something on a similar reading level! Will try ordering some of the others from the library once he's got through these ones.

wearymum200 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:24:26

I think they're about the same difficulty (Magic tree house and dino cove); dd prefers magic tree house as she is not into dinosaurs .
You could also try Oliver Moon, Penny Dreadful (about a girl, but not girly at all), Horrid Henry early readers if you can stand him (I can't; loathe HH), also have a look at Barefoot Books' early readers, DS loved their Arthur of Albion and I know there are others.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 05-Nov-14 21:44:44

Usborne Young Reading are good - they do series 1, 2 and 3(possibly 4 - can't remember) as well as a Famous Lives series. series 1 is book band 10 according to their website.

AnimatedDad Mon 17-Nov-14 20:57:43

I'm going to cheekily suggest "act normal, and don't tell anyone about the dinosaur in the garden"

cheekily because I wrote it!blush

If he likes that there's "act normal and don't tell anyone about the rhinoceros magnet"

and by the end of the week, "act normal and don't tell anyone about the castle made of sweets" will be out!

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Nov-14 13:14:01

Claude books are also good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now