Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for just five year

(14 Posts)
MrsPear Mon 20-Oct-14 18:59:47

Shock horror he cannot read yet and so i am talking bed time story books.

So what books do people suggest for five year old? Is he too young to start chapter books?

Inmyownlittlecorner Mon 20-Oct-14 19:07:26

My DD is 5.4 & we read chapter books to her.
She wasn't keen on Roald Dahl. She found them a bit scary.
We're reading Paddington Bear at the moment & she's really enjoying it.
Here are some others that we've read.
*My Naughty Little Sister.
*The Worst Witch.
*Winnie The Pooh.
*James and The Giant Peach.
We still read non chapter books too.

emmaMBC Mon 20-Oct-14 19:40:44

Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman is a great 'beginners' chapter book.

Don't be too quick to give up lovely picture books ....

Having said that have you seen The Book With No Pictures?? the clip is hilarious!!!

Storytime Magazine is a new one with lots of content & emphasise on stories & reading. I'm pretty sure WHSmith are stocking it.

Mr Miniscule is a more involved picture book ...

... as is Nuts in Space which uses a comic style format. Great fun!

The Day the Crayons Quit has also got lots going on, and so is fab for a 5 year old. PS a sequel is being planned too, as this has been soooooo popular!

amyhamster Mon 20-Oct-14 19:42:01

Horrid Henry
Captain Underpants
Moonstar books - I've forgotten the author

schmalex Mon 20-Oct-14 21:29:48

The Olga da Polga stories (about a guinea pig) are lovely. By Michael Bond, who wrote Paddington.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Oct-14 11:25:54

By all means give chapter books a go but take the lead from him, if he's just not interested its fine to stick to chapter books.

Our library has a good selection of Horrid Henry Early Reader books. These might be good to read to him as they have lots of coloured pictures in, so are sort of halfway between a picture book and a more grown up chapter book.

Dirty Bertie is very popular in our house at the minute too. I second Dr Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham is our current favourite and does he like Hairy MacLarly books, the Tiger Who Came to Tea, Thomas books, Lost & Found by Oliver Jeffers, Funny Bones books or the Runaway Train.

That should keep him going for a bit smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Oct-14 11:26:45

Stick with picture books. Must learn to proof read my posts blush

BlueChampagne Tue 21-Oct-14 12:15:06

My nearly 5 yo likes Astrosaurs and Skylanders chapter books, but still enjoys Harry & his bucket full of dinosaurs picture books (are you spotting a theme here?!), as well as factual books (about ... guess what)!

Mr Men also still quite popular.

ConcreteElephant Sun 02-Nov-14 13:06:19

My almost 5 year old has cried with laughter at the Claude books by Alex T. Smith.

We've read Fantastic Mr Fox but I think she's a bit young yet for the other Roald Dahl books. Like Schmalex, we've also read Olga da Polga, which is lovely, ditto Paddington.

Also, Winnie the Witch chapter books, Mrs Pepperpot, Worst Witch, Enchanted Wood etc.

DD sometimes likes to have 'early reader' type books but I still like to read picture books with her as the vocabulary is much richer than in books which are intended for children just beginning to read.

SarahCraine Mon 03-Nov-14 05:46:19

Try reading Each Peach Pear Plum by the author and illustrator Janet & Allan Ahlberg.

Chapter books for me are great. Aside from the excitement that your child can feel for what will happen next, this also makes his play and explore with his imagination before hearing the next part of the story.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 05-Nov-14 21:35:42

no not too young but we tend to do say a chapter of a chapter book and then a couple of picture books too, the picture books nowadays are just SO beautiful I think it is a shame when we move on to chapter books too soon.

The Enchanted Wood, Magic Faraway Tree, Naughtiest Girl in the School, My Naughty Little Sister, Olga da Polga, Paddington (although the picture book versions are nicer for young ones IMO).

Longer picture books you could try - Katie Morag, Alfie, The Lighthouse Keeper, Percy the Park Keeper.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Wed 05-Nov-14 21:44:15

When Ds was just 5, we read longer length picture books. Well, I read them to him. Off the top of my head (I can't check for fearing of waking him)

Both sir scallywag books
The pirates next door
Mog the forgetful cat books
Winnie the witch picture books
Paddington
Funnybones
Burglar bill
All of the Alfie books
Dogger
All of the runaway train books
Boris' body (brilliant book about how the body works, very light read)
Meg and Mog books
Fairy tales like jack and the beanstalk, the elves and the shoemaker
The shorter Roald Dahl books like the enormous crocodile, the twits and fantastic mr fox
The lighthouse keeper books

He was just growing out of Harry and the bucketful of dinosaurs and topsy and tim

There are loads more but I have a mental block!

BlueChampagne Thu 06-Nov-14 20:05:17

The Viking Saga of Harris Bristlebeard -a story, a treasure hunt,and riddles.

MollyBdenum Thu 06-Nov-14 20:09:08

DS really likes the Usborne books of fairy tales and stories from around the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now