Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for 13 yr old boy please

(30 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Oct-14 13:16:08

He's read Hunger Games, all the Henderson Boys and Cherub series which he loved.

Got any other ideas? TIA thanks

IndridCold Wed 08-Oct-14 17:30:04

The Patrick Ness books might be worth a look. I think it's called the Chaos Walking trilogy, or something.

IndridCold Wed 08-Oct-14 17:31:52

Also the Mortal Engines book, by Philip Reeve.

donkir Wed 08-Oct-14 17:34:47

My ds likes the skullduggery set.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Oct-14 21:36:25

He's read the skullduggery books and loved them, thanks though. I'll suggest the others, thank yousmile

Hakluyt Wed 08-Oct-14 21:39:16

Patrick Ness, Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes are my 13 year old's current favourites.

Takver Thu 09-Oct-14 09:41:32

He's probably read at least some of these series', but if he hasn't:
Insignia + sequels
Divergent ditto
Gone ditto

Booksteensmagazines Thu 09-Oct-14 12:54:42

Spud series by John van de Ruit - hilarious, great for this age group

Gone series by Michael Grant (though it is a very long series...)

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman - excellent read, adventure but thought provoking too

The Outsiders by SE Hinton - a little classic that many boys really enjoy

marne2 Thu 09-Oct-14 13:01:46

Someone recommended 'maize runner' ( think that's what they are called ), apparently similar to hunger games. My dd is a bit younger but loves the Hunger games I'm thinking of getting these for her for Christmas.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 09-Oct-14 13:04:06

Thank you! Interestingly we saw the trailer for Mazerunner the other day and he always likes reading the books before seeing the film.

RobinHumphries Thu 09-Oct-14 13:36:00

Alpha Force series by Chris Ryan

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 09-Oct-14 16:34:10

I've downloaded Maze runner and will download the samples of the rest suggested. Thank yousmile

Booksteensmagazines Thu 09-Oct-14 22:40:34

Maze Runner is out in cinemas tomorrow - the trailer and music look great and reviews so far are good. The books are fun - dystopia, adventure, all teen cast, special vocal and they are pitched at 12+. I think the fist book is the best but the later books are heavier going.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 10-Oct-14 11:13:54

Ds was up late last night reading maze runner, he said it was REALLY scary and really goodgrin

cheapskatemum Mon 13-Oct-14 21:38:51

Charlie Higson? Has he read "Two Weeks with the Queen"?

TallTalesSara Mon 13-Oct-14 22:30:46

I'd second the Divergent series. I'm half way through the third book. How about the Alex Ryder series of books as well? That's Stormbreaker etc. The Gone books are amazing apparently too.

TallTalesSara Mon 13-Oct-14 22:32:05

Plus how about digging out The Westing Game - a 1970s teen detective novel.

Romann Thu 16-Oct-14 12:41:18

Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan. Brotherband series. Chasing the Valley series.

Has he read all the Rick Riordan ones? They could be aimed at slighter younger but I rather like them!

The Giver - my 12 year old just enjoyed that. He also liked the Gone series and Alpha Force

What do you think about encouraging them towards something a bit more literary at some point? I don't want to make reading into a chore at all, but I would like them to start to appreciate some different kinds of writing. I remember loving Jane Eyre when I was 11, and also quite enjoying Dickens. Maybe I should try Catcher in the Rye etc on DS.

Booksteensmagazines Thu 16-Oct-14 18:31:36

For 13+ boys a good,literary read would be The Outsiders by SE Hinton. It's a modern classic so the language is more contemporary and it is an excellent story.

CeliaFate Thu 16-Oct-14 18:36:05

Young Bond series by Charlie Higson?

priscillashort Mon 20-Oct-14 15:46:02

Definitely 'The Dark Inside' by Rupert Wallis. It's had fantastic reviews and I've no idea why more people haven't hear of it. Its great. My 13 year old son read it about six months ago and its gone viral at his school - the kids all seem to love it, both boys and girls. Its the story of a young boy called James who teams up with a man called Webster on a journey to try and rid him of a curse. There are loads of twists and turns, its a real page turner. But its also beautifully written.

OwlCapone Mon 20-Oct-14 15:48:46

DS2 has been reading a series by Andrew Fukuda - The Hunt, The Prey and The Trap (not sure what order!). I believe its something to do with vampires.

Booksteensmagazines Mon 20-Oct-14 15:50:39

priscillashort - agree The Dark inside is a very goos book. Beautifully written and thought provoking.

OwlCapone Mon 20-Oct-14 15:51:02

Looking through my Kindle orders, I think he also enjoyed the Justice series by Kim Jewell and The Echo Chronicles by Mark Hamner

OwlCapone Mon 20-Oct-14 15:51:41

Ender's Game is another book-to-film he enjoyed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now