Talk

Advanced search

Oliver Moon books....

(8 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Wed 15-May-13 19:44:10

..are they any good?

Thinking of DS2 age 6, either me reading or himself,independently. He's developing into a great little reader but we haven't managed to find any chapter books yet that he can read completely without help.

Periwinkle007 Thu 16-May-13 11:21:29

reviews of them are good. I have girls so we are a bit too fairy based but my eldest is on early reader type books. she likes the corgi pups/first readers which Sainsburys have now published so they are worth a look. They are 4 chapters long, pictures on most pages, decent sized font, funny stories, mix of authors and topics. Others she has liked have been the Early Reader ones, Julia Donaldson wrote some of them, some have been published as blue bananas. I think Blue bananas are about book band 8ish, red bananas are about book band 10.
the Usborne first reading series 1 (think it is called first reading) is generally book band 10/11. there are loads of different ones for boys and girls and both, if you look on their website you can look inside them too. great colour pictures on every page, nice stories, good clear font, not too long, big hit in our house.

trying to think what else we have been reading. She has just started on the Magic Toyshop books.

Campaspe Thu 16-May-13 19:27:07

They are good I think and just right for a child who can read independently. The stories are a bit formulaic, but that's not a bad thing for a child just starting out. Great for anyone who likes wizards and magic but isn't ready for Harry Potter.

freetrait Thu 16-May-13 22:46:39

They're good, well written and funny, but might be a bit hard as first chapter book? Would be good for sharing. It was Horrid Henry that got DS going independently. First the easy readers, then the normal ones. We have a shelf full. He's still reading them a year later (although not quite so wedded to them, phew). Does your DS/you not like HH?

BaconAndAvocado Fri 17-May-13 16:23:36

smile I don't like HH! At least the tv programme!!

It was banned here due to DS pretending to be HH a little bit too often!

freetrait Fri 17-May-13 21:25:27

The books are much, much better than the TV programme. Have you tried them? I agree, the TV programme is a load of c***.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 18-May-13 10:24:25

No, I haven't looked at the books tbh. Think the library has a load!

itsnothingoriginal Sun 19-May-13 20:28:49

We love Oliver Moon - I have a 6 yr old dd and really enjoy reading them together. I think they're well written and funny. Would probably also appeal to boys who are reluctant readers too (not that your ds sounds reluctant OP!).

In terms of reading alone, they aren't too difficult for a first chapter book. DD reads white ORT stage 10 books and manages without too much difficulty. Definitely recommend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now