Talk

Advanced search

Non Fiction books suitable for 12/13 year old boys

(10 Posts)
soontobeslendergirl Sun 12-May-13 22:28:15

Looking to expand my sons' reading a bit - both keen readers and read well above their age but mostly fiction or "fact" type books.

I'd like to find some non-fiction that they would enjoy.

They are not interested in Sport really, eldest likes computers/maths/things to do with houses/building etc , camping/outdoors stuff.

youngest likes History (world wars etc), Japan, Cats, words and the both love Manga/Anime.

suggestions gratefully received - TIA

Furball Mon 13-May-13 07:13:19

My 11 ds really enjoyed 'the Colditz Story' by Pat Reid - about the british officers trying to escape

madamehooch Mon 13-May-13 10:18:44

Bear Grylls' autobiography 'Mud Sweat and Tears' has been abridged for teens. Very interesting and readable.

booksteensandmagazines Mon 13-May-13 13:18:20

Empire of the Sub - JG Ballard - ww2/Japanese prisoner of war, written for adults but not a difficult read

Steve Job's autobiography - a bit of a tome but interesting

It's quite hard! A lot of the non fiction books in this age group are in 'fact' format. There is a true and harrowing story Never Fall Down by Patricia MCormick about the Cambodian killing fields but they may be a bit young for the content. Also there's Touching the void about a climbing experience that went wrong - I haven't read it so not sure what age to pitch it at.

There are history and computer magazines that might be of interest too. I've reviewed a couple on my website. Www.booksteensandmagazines.com

Periwinkle007 Mon 13-May-13 19:32:11

a couple of less usual war ones, The Shetland Bus and In War Heroes Wake might appeal. The Shetland Bus is about the secret shuttle that ran between the Shetland Islands and Occupied Norway in WW2 run by commandos. My mum read it at school and bought my husband it.
http://shetlandbus.com/
In War Heroes Wake is about a couple following the Cockleshell Heroes route from during WW2. fascinating read http://www.cockleshellheroes.co.uk/

Amazon do both books but the links I have included are to the information websites so you can see what they are really about.

bit heavy going but some of the enigma code breaking books might appeal to them if they like science, history etc. erm trying to think of the name of one of them, Between Silk and Cyanide? hmm that looks out of print, something along those lines might appeal though and be a bit different.

Periwinkle007 Mon 13-May-13 19:34:01

some of these ones, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bletchley+park+books&sprefix=blet%2Cstripbooks%2C249&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Abletchley+park+books

Bletchley Park books, codebreakers etc but all true and info about the computers they used, how they devised the systems etc

soontobeslendergirl Mon 13-May-13 20:53:40

wow thanks for all those suggestions everyone - i'm awayto have a proper look and see what I think might be suitable - codebreaking stuff sounds good. You can't go wrong with a good war story and we already have touching the void somewhere - i have read it and sure it isn't unsuitable as far as I remember.

scaevola Mon 13-May-13 20:56:36

If really good at maths, try Alex's Adventures in Numberland.

Takver Tue 14-May-13 18:45:39

Might they like Sophie's World? DD also has a book called The Philosophy Files which she enjoyed.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Wed 15-May-13 08:19:05

Karl Pilkington's 'Happyslapped by a Jellyfish' worked well with my DS at thar age and led to endless reading of travel books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now