Talk

Advanced search

recommendations for an almost 6 yr old girl

(3 Posts)
CoffeeGoneColdAgain Sat 27-Oct-12 11:33:08

Does anyone have any recommendations for my Dd please, would like to buy her some books for Christmas, she will be 6 in January, and has been taken off the ORT phonic books as the teacher says she is now reading by sight and doesn't need phonetic books.
I have looked at the Book People but am stumped as to what would be best for her.
Thanks very much in advance. smile

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Sat 27-Oct-12 11:34:35

Sorry, should have added she is on Reading 360 books now level 4 book 6

R2PeePoo Sat 27-Oct-12 14:20:51

Is it possible to take her to the library/book shop and see what appeals to her first? What other things does she like?

This collection looks like a good place to start and to get an idea of her tastes.

Don't forget that even if you get something that is slightly too old or difficult then it won't be wasted and she can read it in a few months or so.

Also its better to get things that they like so they actually want to read the thing. The amount of Doctor Who books (groan!) I have read with DD (7.5) have paid off and now she enthusiasticly reads everything in sight and loves to curl up quietly with a book.

There is lots of good non-fiction out there too - DD loves her encyclopaedia book and the Usbourne Time Traveller books are superb (Rome, Egypt, Medieval castles and Vikings).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now