Talk

Advanced search

A level syllabus - good fictional books about the colonisation of Africa and its aftermath

(8 Posts)
Sparrows12 Fri 12-Oct-12 13:59:50

Hello

This is one of the three subject areas my daughter will be covering in A level history starting in September. We don't know much about this field of history. Can anyone recommend any readable fiction? I thought straightaway of the amazing Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I also seem to remember Paul Theroux - Mosquito Coast? Is Heart of Darkness readable? Does anyone have any good ideas? She likes good quality descriptive writing that is readable, with a decent storyline.

racingheart Fri 12-Oct-12 18:44:38

Nadine Gordimer and JM Coetzee both write brilliantly on South Africa. So does Doris Lessing.
Albert Camus in translation might be good on Algiers as he lived there, and is a fantastic writer.

FraterculaArctica Fri 12-Oct-12 18:46:13

Elspeth Huxley - Red Strangers

AgentProvocateur Fri 12-Oct-12 18:47:08

A good man in Africa, by william Boyd.

stopcallingmefrank Fri 12-Oct-12 19:07:21

Things Fall Apart or Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe

beatricequimby Fri 12-Oct-12 20:04:59

Definitely anything by Chinua Achebe. She might also like Half of a Yellow Sun or Purple Hibiscus by Chinamanda Ngozi Adiche. Set in Nigeria, more modern setting than Achebe but they are beautifully written.

Sparrows12 Sat 13-Oct-12 07:43:24

These are really helpful - I had forgotten about William boyd, and never even heard of chinua achebe.

complexnumber Mon 15-Oct-12 09:23:06

How about The River Between by Ngugi wa Thiongo. The missionaries come and attempt to stop FGM. It is written by a male author and I think it is quite interesting to question why women and women's bodies are the receptacles of tradition and whether a woman would have written the same book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now