Talk

Advanced search

Young adult historical fiction recommendations please?

(16 Posts)
TunipTheVegemal Wed 10-Oct-12 16:15:11

Recently I've liked Celia Rees, Mary Hooper, Lucy Jago, and been totally wowed by B.R.Collins.

What else am I missing?

Thanks.

monsterchild Wed 10-Oct-12 16:20:42

Meg Cabot? More romantical, but fun.

Galaxymum Wed 10-Oct-12 16:22:33

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland is excellent. It's about a girl sent to an asylum and the staff won't accept the name given is not hers. Very interesting historical detail and research.

TunipTheVegemal Wed 10-Oct-12 16:23:20

Ah, does she do historical? The Princess Diaries was entertaining.

TunipTheVegemal Wed 10-Oct-12 16:25:01

Jane Eagland looks interesting, thanks.

Talyra Wed 10-Oct-12 18:17:42

Raven Queen by Pauline Francis, about Lady Jane Grey, is good. Some of Eva Ibbotson. Michelle Magorian, especially Back Home and A Little Love Song.

TunipTheVegemal Wed 10-Oct-12 18:46:47

Thank you. Has anyone read VIII by H.M.Castor?

Thewidewideworld Wed 10-Oct-12 21:27:56

Eve Edwards has written some quite entertaining Tudor stuff. I believe Phillipa Gregory has a YA book out but I haven't read it. Have you read Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly - timeslip novel contrasting modern New York and the French Revolution?

Thewidewideworld Wed 10-Oct-12 21:32:52

Have you read any Theresa Breslin? Prisoner of the Inquistion is excellent.

TunipTheVegemal Wed 10-Oct-12 21:41:43

I haven't, thank you.
There's more Tudor stuff out there than I thought - the pics on front are so soft-focus and romantic that it's not always obvious what period the books are!

Whoateallthecheese Thu 11-Oct-12 13:04:37

VIII by HM Castor is AMAZING, and well worth a read.
Also check out anything by Marie-Louise Jensen, her YA historical stuff is great and very well received.

TunipTheVegemal Thu 11-Oct-12 13:29:33

Glad VIII's good because I ordered it just before I saw your post smile
I think perhaps I prefer the YA stuff aimed at boys to the very girly ones, but it does seem to be quite a female-dominated genre.

Thewidewideworld Thu 11-Oct-12 13:53:54

If you prefer boy-oriented YA have you read any Marcus Sedgwick - they are sort of fantasy/historical hybrids. Also you must read Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur trilogy if you haven't.

TunipTheVegemal Thu 11-Oct-12 14:06:38

I loved Floodland. But I don't really do fantasy <hard to please>.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Thu 11-Oct-12 15:10:31

My daughters loved Eve Ibbotson.

Katisha Thu 11-Oct-12 15:18:43

Rosemary Sutclliff Eagle of the Ninth if you like Romans. And all Mary Stewart's merlin books, although possibly fantasy rather than history.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: