Talk

Advanced search

Help! suggestions for a scary/Halloween book to read aloud at school assembly

(5 Posts)
Sk8ergirl Tue 09-Oct-12 20:11:40

Just been asked to read a book at assembly during book week - the assembly is for most of the primary school Yrs 2-6! Although big age range, advised to aim younger, as if the infants are quiet the older kids will listen too apparently. Dug out a Winnie the witch but don't like it, like Funny Bones but don't fancy the singing bits! Suggestions please! Thanks

tooearlytobeup Tue 09-Oct-12 20:13:11

What about Room on the Broom?

ImaginateMum Tue 09-Oct-12 20:21:19

What about one of the versions of Teeny Tiny?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/eft/eft13.htm

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 10-Oct-12 11:50:56

There's a short story called Humble Puppy, I think by Joan Aitken although I could be wrong. I have it in an anthology with some of her work in, but not sure if they're all by her.
It's about puppy ghost and has a "happy" ending in that the little ghost finds someone to love him and is happy even though he's a ghost. I know he became a ghost after getting trapped in an old box or trunk and I don't think it was because someone cruel put him there, or if it was it didn't stick in my memory/wasn't upsetting.

MadameCreeper Thu 11-Oct-12 18:03:30

This is a collection of short poems but they're fun
www.amazon.co.uk/Dinner-Dracula-Spine-tingling-Collection-Frighteningly/dp/0881665126/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349974375&sr=1-1

This is one of may favourite children's picture books but not a halloween book as such.
www.amazon.co.uk/I-Hate-School-Jeanne-Willis/dp/184270463X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349974511&sr=1-1

It's all about a young girl telling he mum the awful things that happen to her at school & how terrible the teachers are. Her imagine runs riot with teachers as witches, heads chopped off, thrown out of windows. Honestly, its funny! Then there's a sweet line at the end about how she didn't want to leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now