Talk

Advanced search

Nice book/boxed set for DD's 7th birthday

(23 Posts)
ornellaia Tue 02-Oct-12 21:47:00

I always like to get DD a posh (special edition/hardback) book or set for her birthday but I haven't seen anything that appeals this year. She loves The Famous Five, Tin Tin and Pippi Longstocking. Any recommendations?

TheSurgeonsMate Tue 02-Oct-12 22:00:27

Just taking this as in invitation to post my "luxury box set finds", I give you Noggin the Nog

Impressive, huh? Sadly, I don't actually own it, so can't help with whether it might suit a seven year old.

Dell28 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:04:12

Little House on the Prairie?

I don't have a 7 yr old. But I got the box set when I was around that age and 'grew up' with Laura, taking the books s l o w l y over time. Ahhh... Lovely memories.

ornellaia Tue 02-Oct-12 22:04:56

Ooh fancy! That might be one to suggest to the richer members of the family though grin

Doshusallie Tue 02-Oct-12 22:06:47

Ronald Dahl bookset? Got one from the book people for ds a few years ago and he loves it. We are currently reading Mathilda.

Doshusallie Tue 02-Oct-12 22:07:03

Roald obv

Doshusallie Tue 02-Oct-12 22:08:37

this one

PuffPants Tue 02-Oct-12 22:09:10

Magic Faraway Tree/Wishing Chair etc?

I loves those at her age.

PuffPants Tue 02-Oct-12 22:14:23

White Boots or Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield?

PuffPants Tue 02-Oct-12 22:15:28

Loved not loves... I'm not actually Stacey from Gavin & Stacey grin

ornellaia Tue 02-Oct-12 22:19:51

Fab ideas, thank you.

Don't know why I didn't think of Roald Dahl - I read her a couple of them from the library when she was younger and she really enjoyed them.

skyebluesapphire Tue 02-Oct-12 22:21:43

Narnia Boxset

Enid Blyton - Mallory Towers

Little House on the Prairie

Heidi

ornellaia Tue 02-Oct-12 22:28:22

Now I've been on amazon and found loads that I want for me DD, I loved The Secret Garden when I was a kid and that edition is beautiful.

ornellaia Tue 02-Oct-12 22:29:04

I've asked my mum to get the Narnia books for her, I wasn't sure if they'd be a bit advanced but I thought I could always read them to her if she struggles.

zipzap Tue 02-Oct-12 22:31:00

check out the book people - they have loads of books sets. and you can even do a search on sets (or collections as they call them...)

DS is 7 and we are just going through the roald dahl one. I'm giving the wimpy kid one to my niece - just turning 9 but not very good at reading, she read one of the stories at school and loved it, has asked for another one. However ds has friends who at 7 are able to read it themselves (if they are good readers) and have really enjoyed them. Think it is about £8-9 and has 6 books in, including the new one.

They also have things like a phineas and ferb collection (we love p&f in our house!), a deadly 60 collection if she likes the steve backshall shows, michael morpugo collection and loads more.

also check out bananas.co.uk - they are the clearance outlet for the book people - things are even cheaper on there. i got a nice set of historical ones based on myths and legends for ds, which he'll get at christmas, was about £6 instead of £60. Stock comes and goes, but especially if you don't need to order right now, it's a good one to keep an eye on and pick up the bargains.

PuffPants Tue 02-Oct-12 22:33:04

I really want to read all these books again myself!

noUggscuse Fri 05-Oct-12 20:53:09

How about Ottoline books by Chris Riddell, Eloise books, and Madame Pamplemousse? All utterly gorgeous and funny.

thelennox Fri 05-Oct-12 21:02:13

We have just given dd (7 today) the box set of mr gum stories and she loves them! Very funny too.

deleted203 Sat 06-Oct-12 03:16:39

Malory Towers definitely if she's a Famous Five fan
St Clare's box set (Enid Blyton)
Also Faraway Tree/Wishing Chair

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield
Roald Dahl, yes.

Also, at this age I loved 'Alfred Hitchcock presents The Three Investigators' series. 3 American boys who solved mysteries - so if she liked Famous Five I would highly recommend. Try the earlier ones which are better - these are the first ten.

1. The Secret of Terror Castle

2. The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot

3. The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy

4. The Mystery of the Green Ghost

5. The Mystery of theVanishing Treasure

6. The Secret of Skeleton Island

7. The Mystery of the Fiery Eye

8. The Mystery of the Silver Spider

9. The Mystery of the Screaming Clock

10. The Mystery of the Moaning Cave

howcomes Sat 06-Oct-12 03:36:45

Box set of the worst witch? I forget the authors name but the central character is Mildred Hubble

ornellaia Sat 06-Oct-12 11:31:50

More lovely ideas, thank you, she's going to end up with nothing but books for her birthday!

deleted203 Sat 06-Oct-12 16:58:54

The Worst Witch is by Jill Murphy and my girls enjoyed those books.

LadyEnglefield Mon 15-Oct-12 13:29:26

My DDs (just about to turn 7) love the Bella Donna books by Ruth Symes. They're about a young girl who doesn't want to be a princess/fairy/ballerina but wants to be a witch. There are 4 books in series Coven Road/Witchling/Too Many Spells/Cat Magic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now