Talk

Advanced search

books/series for 8yr old funny girl?????

(24 Posts)
mummc2 Mon 01-Oct-12 13:03:11

My daughter will be 8 next month and is a very competent reader and is just started reading bigger and bigger books. I want to get her into a series which will keep her interested but unsure what to go for?

She is very much into silly stuff like mr bean humour and loved the recent 3 stooges film and all diary of a wimpy kid film. Was thinking about the diary of a wimpy kid books but wasnt sure if it was mainly boy orientated and wether she would get on with them although she isnt very girly. I did give her the rainbow fairy books but she wasnt that enthuisastic.

So does anyone have any suggestions or what your daughters into??

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Mon 01-Oct-12 13:06:10

Jeremy Strong, start with 'My Dad's got an alligator'. Also Dick King-Smith's Sophie books. And maybe Mr Gum.

Takver Mon 01-Oct-12 13:30:15

Captain Underpants?
Professor Branestawm (old but good)
Agree Mr Gum would probably appeal

habbibu Mon 01-Oct-12 13:31:31

Mt Gum, How to Train Your Dragon.

hanglider Mon 01-Oct-12 13:37:31

Judy Moody, Mr Gum, Ottoline...

Approximately Mon 01-Oct-12 13:41:18

My DD loves the following series: Dairy of a Wimpy Kid, Mr Gum, Malory Towers, Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Faraway Tree, The Wishing Chair, The Pain and the Great One, Fudge (Judy Blume), Clarice Bean, Judy Moody, Junie B Jones, Tom Gates, Roald Dahl.

hawthornknitter Tue 09-Oct-12 12:13:23

Witch baby, How to Train your Dragon, Ramona Quimby, Mr. Gum

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 10-Oct-12 11:51:56

I second Ramona grin

SrirachaGhoul Wed 10-Oct-12 11:58:09

My daughter loved the Wimpy Kid books. I would also recommend Roddy Doyle's The Giggler Treatment.

jeee Wed 10-Oct-12 11:59:09

Jeremy Strong?

wearingpurple Wed 10-Oct-12 12:29:41

Both my dds (9 and 7) find the Mr Gum series absolutely hilarious. Dd1 also loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid (and hates Rainbow Fairies).

wearingpurple Wed 10-Oct-12 12:31:19

Roddy Doyle's children's books also big favourites just now.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Wed 10-Oct-12 12:32:48

Revenge Files of Alistair Fury.

Alitoomanykids Wed 10-Oct-12 14:30:45

I agree all my sons classmates, girls and boys, love Wimpy Kid series. How about Pippi Longstocking - the new Lauren Child illustrated version is gorgeous. I enjoyed reading that to my 7yr old. I am sooooo relieved that Dd has now decided that she doesn't like Rainbow Fairies any more.... I must have read at least 40 of them.... yawn!

Alitoomanykids Wed 10-Oct-12 14:31:55

may be obvious question but has she tried the Harry Potter series yet? My son read them all aged around 8 and loved them.

mamaspice Thu 11-Oct-12 21:42:06

There is a series of books about a girl called Agatha Parrot (I think). They are funny stories about a fun, smart girl and her class mates. I pretty sure the illustrator is the same as the one for Mr Gum.

Alitoomanykids Thu 11-Oct-12 21:45:07

My 9yr old son's teacher just recommended everything by Cathy McPhail. They just read Run, Zan, Run in class and really enjoyed it.

Alitoomanykids Thu 11-Oct-12 21:46:08

ooh, forgot all about Humphrey the Hamster.. she is maybe past that stage but we still love him in our house!

BarryShitpeas Thu 11-Oct-12 21:49:52

Judy Moody

Harryc Thu 25-Oct-12 15:35:18

Friesops Fables a brand new publication by author, Julian Defries. is now a firm bedtime favourite in my house. Beautifully ‘drawn’ both in words and pictures. One of the stories is an analogy of a business panda seeking to ‘corner the market’ in bamboo, comparing him to the power hungry, wealth obsessed, businessmen we are all too familiar with. Very relevant to today’s world.

clemetteattlee Sat 27-Oct-12 22:44:28

Another vote for Judy Moody - DD whizzed through them and is gutted that she has come to the end of the series. We has now started on Agatha Parrott and is enthusiastic so far.

treadonthecracks Sun 28-Oct-12 21:32:51

my yr 3 DD likes famous five and Mr Gumm.

Teamthrills Sun 28-Oct-12 21:39:01

Dd1 aged 8 loves Roald Dahl, Diary of a wimpy kid, Malory Towers, Mr Gum, Ramona books & anything by Jacqueline Wilson.

She's recently got in to reading David Walliams' very funny books. She loved Billionaire Boy & Ratburger & laughed out loud when reading.

Teamthrills Sun 28-Oct-12 21:41:03

Oh, also Worst Witch series was popular too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now