Talk

Advanced search

Call the Midwife for 13 year old DD??

(12 Posts)
misspollysdolly Thu 27-Sep-12 07:30:13

DD is 13 next week and is badgering me to read the Call the Midwife books. Although I think she'd cope with most of the context, I'm aware that there's quite a lot of content that's a bit more advanced than where she's at - particularly the stuff about prostitution (we had some discussion about this recently tho) and also the storyline about Mary's baby being forcibly removed for adoption from her (DD is adopted). My gut is a bit uneasy. Just wondered what anyone thinks. She was desperate to watch the TV series (she loves Miranda which is mostly why she was so keen) but I only let her watch one or two on iplayer after I had watched then through first. Thus avoiding the episodes that focused on the issues above. So she saw the more light hearted bits and loved it. The books will be heavier, tho we are a family who is open to talking about stuff as and when it arises. Would be grateful for any thoughts.TIA. MPD

LurcioLovesFrankie Thu 27-Sep-12 07:43:14

My parents never censored books, and I'll go for the same policy with DS when he's older (visual images - films, games, TV - are different). I can see why you'd be worried about the adoption passages. Perhaps just be around to talk to her about it as she reads. Ditto the bits about prostitution (though I gather that's one of the bits that was changed for TV - the adoption and baby-stealing bits were run into one story for Tv, and I think they're different protagonists in the books).

CMOTDibbler Thu 27-Sep-12 07:52:32

No, absolutely not. Have you read it ? Theres a whole bit that wasn't in the tv series on how Mary is forced into prostitution and the abortion of other womens babies that I have found disturbing long term.

ripsishere Thu 27-Sep-12 08:00:09

I agree with CMOT. They are not suitable. I say that as someone who tends not to censor what my DD reads.

shelley72 Thu 27-Sep-12 08:01:47

Agree with CMOTDibbler - there were some bits in the book that (at 39) i found quite disturbing - namely the episode where Mary was forced into prostitution. You know your daughter best but I dont think I would have coped with reading that at 13 and personally would be reluctant to let my DD read it at that age.

misspollysdolly Thu 27-Sep-12 08:07:52

I have read the start (first few chapters) of the first book, but havent managed to read much this past year with a new baby (cannot stay awake!!) and I read the third one (In the Shadow of the Workhouse?) on holiday as it was on a communal bookshelf at the campsite (joyful holiday reading wink) so I have not yet got to those more disturbing elements, but you have confirmed my gut feeling and I will wait at least until I have read them fully myself. I definitely remember thinking with the TV episode on Mary's baby/adoption/trauma: 'Blimey, shock let's not let DD watch this...'

I quite fancy this copy of the book for myself though. Thanks for the thoughts everyone. MPD

steben Thu 27-Sep-12 08:08:42

Hmmm tricky one there are extracts from all if the books I would not want a very young person to read - more so in the later ones to be honest (very sad brother sister incest, that horrible bit with the aristocratic nuns maid) don't know what to suggest but if she is adamant she wants to read them she will so it probably best to talk through the disturbing stuff.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 27-Sep-12 22:17:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

needanswers Thu 27-Sep-12 22:20:59

I dont know, I would have read them at 13, they are beautifully written.

CherryBlossom27 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:31:09

I've actually just finished reading this book, I found the bit about Mary's baby being taken away for adoption really upsetting. I think it would probably be borderline for a 13 year old to read it or not. It is a brilliant book though and maybe one your dd could read when she's older if you read it and decide she is a bit young ATM.

Jusfloatingby Tue 02-Oct-12 11:36:14

I think she would find them heavy going to be honest. There's a lot more material about the social history of London and a lot of dark stuff that didn't really feature in the programmes.

TheHeirOfSlytherin Tue 02-Oct-12 11:39:18

I thought you were asking if you should call the midwife for your 13 year old dd when j saw the thread title grin and <phew> that I misread it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now