Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a series for a 6 yr old boy?

(17 Posts)
iloveblue Sun 23-Sep-12 15:08:26

Hi
DS1 turned 6 in August. His reading is coming on leaps and bounds at the moment and I would like to find a series that we could read together and that he could start trying to read alone, which he is quite reluctant to do at the moment.
DS1 is an avid reader so we have lots and lots of chapter books but none that have really grabbed DS2.
He's shown a slight interest in Mr Gum and the Beastquest books but these are DS1's and I'd like him to have a 'new' series to get into, plus I really don't enjoy reading the Beastquest books out loud.
Something with lots of pictures would be great - but that' is still a step up from a picture book. We have the Ottoline books that I'm going to try him with soon, so maybe something similar.
There are so many series out there at the moment it's hard to narrow them down.
Many thanks in advance smile

Moln Sun 23-Sep-12 15:17:27

Not a series as such but it's the same authur, Ds2 (also just 6) loves Michael Morpurgo.

It's read aloud for him as his reading in English is still at the starting off stage

DoverBeach Sun 23-Sep-12 15:26:13

Have you looked at the Jack Stalwart series?

MrsSteptoe Sun 23-Sep-12 15:29:04

I hate to say it, but Horrid Henry? Yes, I got sick of them, no, I don't think they're exactly high literature, but DS read them. And then he stopped reading them and went on to read other things, and he never, ever behaved like Henry as a result of reading the books. Astrosaurs books were also quite popular for a while there. That said, I think DS was just a tinier bit older than your DS2 when he read both HH and Astrosaurs.

neverquitesure Sun 23-Sep-12 15:31:01

I have no idea if this is the sort of thing you had in mind but they are releasing Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree books in beautifully illustrated hardcover versions first one in the series here. There are big colour illustrations on at least every other 2-page spread and the chapters are short. They have only released the first 2 but 3rd one due very soon.

My nearly 4 year old is hooked, it's been his first proper introduction to chapter books. Obviously I'm reading it to him though, not sure if it would be suitable learning-to-read material.

Moln Sun 23-Sep-12 17:24:07

ds1's teacher read his class the faraway tree series (he'd have been 5/6) got the whole class hooked - in fact they're all still book mad now (8/9 yrs now)

there is also captian underpants, though i didn't suggest earlier as i don't like reading them out loud.

David Walliams is a good writer too - great fun to read out loud

amck5700 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:45:36

Dinking Dings and the frightening things - brilliant books
Scream street
How to train your Dragon

wearymum200 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:49:40

Astrosaurs, jack stalwart, wild rescue, magic tree house, dinosaur cove, stone (and tree and various other) goblins all hits with ds1 at various stages.

iloveblue Sun 23-Sep-12 18:23:30

Ooh lots there I haven't heard of - thanks.
We have loads of Horrid Henry's - DS1 was obsessed for a while so may dig those out.
neverquitesure love the look of the Faraway tree book - might be a nice one for Father Christmas to bring.
Thanks again

JoMumof3 Mon 24-Sep-12 22:14:07

I remember reading the Faraway Tree books when I was a kid. I loved them. I will have to go and buy them now I think, thank you for the tip :-)

PS I'm new to this, could someone tell me what DS stands for please. I'm sure it's obvious really but I can't work it out!

Moln Mon 24-Sep-12 23:06:07

DS = Darling Son

tis an internet thing (though why it's not just son I don't know - i didn't question and just complied)

amck5700 Mon 24-Sep-12 23:14:08

lol - I find it odd - I wouldn't say that in real life so I don't here.

iseenodust Tue 25-Sep-12 12:07:42

Happy family series by Ahlberg
Mudpuddle farm series - Morpurgo (much more age appropriate)
YY to Dinosaur Cove

iloveblue Sat 29-Sep-12 17:11:07

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I've just bought a Flat Stanley set from the Book People, 6 books for £6.99. I had a look through them in WHSmiths a few days ago and they look perfect.

Hanorah Tue 09-Oct-12 08:21:52

Astrosaurs was one of the first series mine read for themselves. Not loads of pictures but some. You can't go wrong with dinosaurs in space.

bruffin Tue 09-Oct-12 08:33:06

Mr Majeika My DCs loved these books at that age.

annidani8 Thu 11-Oct-12 12:05:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now