Talk

Advanced search

building a non-fiction library

(11 Posts)
LucilleBallbag Mon 24-Oct-11 12:42:52

dds are nearly 5 and 1.
we've got tonnes of fiction - from first picture books to children's classics that they are waiting to grow into. But we've very little non-fiction. Can anyone recommend some good basics - an encyclopaedia, books about space, weather, history of england, anything really. dd1 generally enjoys texts aimed at slightly older kids, and I don't mind getting things they'll grow into.

TeWihara Mon 24-Oct-11 12:52:48

I got DD this atlas recently www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-World-Atlas-brings-people/dp/1405363916/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319456999&sr=8-1 and really like it, she is 2 so we just talk about the pictures mostly! But the information in it is pretty good (there is the odd mistake, but most atlas' seem to have mistakes annoyingly) and they cover a wide range of countries so I liked it better than some others.

If you go into a bookstore and flick through the right ones tend to jump out.

LucilleBallbag Mon 24-Oct-11 12:55:55

that looks lovely - will pop it on the amazon wish list.

i do know what you mean about having a proper browse, but may not be able to get to the shops without DD1 before christmas, and I was hoping to get a few things for then.

TeWihara Mon 24-Oct-11 12:58:43

I know what you mean! A lot of bookstores seem to have smaller children's non-fiction stock these days (google has taken over for looking things up) so it can be hard to find what you want anyway.

If you have pets the RSPCA do really thorough guides on different animals which might catch her interest too.

throckenholt Mon 24-Oct-11 13:03:18

the bookpeople do some good sets which are not too expensive.

eg science

or this

LucilleBallbag Mon 24-Oct-11 13:07:15

oh, I do like the look of the usborne pocket science set, thanks.

Takver Mon 24-Oct-11 14:06:38

The Usborne Little book of Space is very good.

Takver Mon 24-Oct-11 14:08:42

I'd also recommend the Story of Britain by Patrick Dillon for when they're bigger (but quite a bit bigger!)

LucilleBallbag Mon 24-Oct-11 16:50:54

great, thanks. they all look brilliant.

crazygracieuk Mon 24-Oct-11 20:50:14

My children like the Usborne Beginners range. My 5 year old especially likes Living in Space and Pirates.

Usborne also do a "See Inside.." book which is a flap book enjoyed by my 10 year old as well as the 5 year old.

maclover135 Tue 25-Oct-11 16:56:13

I'd also recommend the Usbourne 'See Inside' series. We have the sea and underground, and have bought castles for DS for Xmas. DS was given, from a very kind elderly relative, the 'I wonder why' series last year. They are great and will last him a long time - I can see him dipping in and out of them as the whim/school topics take him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now