Talk

Advanced search

Alex Rider Collection for 7/8 yr old girl?

(24 Posts)
Blacksquirrel Thu 20-Oct-11 12:23:11

My DN is 7 1/2 and loves to read. I've been browsing the book people & come across The Alex Rider Collection but I'm not sure if it will be too boyish.
DN is not a girly girl at all but I don't want to go too far the other way for her.

Has anyone read these & think they would be good for a girl to read?

Thanks

Blacksquirrel Thu 20-Oct-11 12:29:18

Hmm, TBP say these books are for 9+ but looking on Amazon they seem to be for teens...

PandaG Thu 20-Oct-11 12:34:07

fine for a girl to read I think, but DS has recently read them and he is nearly 12 and an able reader. I think a 7 yo girl or boy would be too young to deal with some of the issues covered in the books, my DC certainly would have been.

What about Saxby Smart? is a detective series we got cheap from Book People, which DD (9) has just romped through and thoroughly enjoyed. A bit easy for her reading ability, but upped her confidence no end.

Blacksquirrel Thu 20-Oct-11 12:41:55

Thank you Panda. I've added the Saxby Smart set to my order. smile

DeWe Fri 21-Oct-11 13:48:20

Dd1 age 10 read them last year and enjoyed them.

Dd2 (age 8) isn't sure. She's flicked through them but not actually tried them yet.

Ds (age 4) loves them. I have read him some of them, and he's seen the film of Stormbreaker. He's moved onto Biggles now, so will be leaving the later ones (which can be worse) for when he's older.

quirrelquarrel Fri 21-Oct-11 16:18:19

"Too far the other way"??

Do you think she won't like them because they're "too boyish", or are you worried about her somehow changing once she's read one?

Blacksquirrel Fri 21-Oct-11 16:37:35

I'm not quite sure what you're implying quirrelquarrel as I don't know what she'd change into after reading a book confused but I mean I don't want anything too girly or too boyish but something in the middle of the 2.

quirrelquarrel Fri 21-Oct-11 16:42:51

Well, it's kind of obvious what I'm implying. I think it's a pretty sexist way of choosing books...first, what's "boyish"? People having adventures? People getting mixed up with spies etc? Why would a girl dislike this kind of books just because it's supposedly for boys?

seeker Fri 21-Oct-11 16:49:01

Too young. And of course she shouldn't read boy's books, she'll be wearing trousers and wanting to join the golf club next.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ByTheWay1 Fri 21-Oct-11 16:58:57

My eldest dd is 10 and devouring Lemony Snicketts Series of Unfortunate events - she looked at the Alex Rider series and found it boring and "too much about boys stuff" by comparison - she is not a girly girl either.

WhoIsThatMaskedWoman Fri 21-Oct-11 17:03:39

DD (just turned 9) is obsessed with Alex Rider ATM. I don't really rate them myself though, they're a bit too Bond-a-like, not nearly as good as Artemis Fowl or Percy Jackson.

Blacksquirrel Fri 21-Oct-11 17:06:48

Holy smokes! You have to be so careful how you word a post on here!

quirrelquarrel Fri 21-Oct-11 17:49:46

No, I find being up to date with 20th century developments to be quite enough.

Sorry to be aggressive OP, since you were just asking a question, but since it's only a matter of taste, why not just let her decide? I don't see how it can be anything but a matter of taste if you agree that it wouldn't be harmful.

Fwiw- I read an Alex Rider book when I was 12 or something and it was deathly boring to me. But I didn't automatically think it was because I was a girl, gosh.

seeker Fri 21-Oct-11 19:10:34

But 7 is too young for either gender to read Alex Ryder. Wait for 11ish.

quirrelquarrel Fri 21-Oct-11 19:13:07

Considering on some threads it seems to be quite normal for five year olds to read Harry Potter...

PandaG Fri 21-Oct-11 19:14:21

I think 5 far too young for HP, and 7 too young for Alex Rider.

jeee Fri 21-Oct-11 19:23:08

My son read the first couple of Alex Rider's at 7 - and loved them. I actually enjoy them too, as do my mum and dad. But my 10 year old DD disliked them.

I would be careful with the later ones, in particular Scorpia Rising, which I think may be a little dark for a 7 year old.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 21-Oct-11 19:26:36

seeker Fri 21-Oct-11 19:27:10

"Considering on some threads it seems to be quite normal for five year olds to read Harry Potter..."

That's just average for a mumsnet child!

alana39 Tue 25-Oct-11 22:45:17

DS just starting on these aged 8 but I would suggest Percy Jackson and other Rick Riordan first as
1 strong girl characters Luke Annabeth and
2 bit easier in terms of issues raised

zeus123 Tue 25-Oct-11 23:20:33

DD10 is currently reading Alex Rider and really enjoying it. We tend not to differentiate between boys or girls books.
PandaG- She is on Ark Angel,Do you think she should delay reading the last few books? Is it darker than HP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now