Talk

Advanced search

not "meditation" but calming/soothing inspiring book for dd nearly 8

(5 Posts)
sunshineandshowers13 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:27:05

hiya, i am looking for a book for my dd2 who is nearly 8.
We have to do a daily procedure (medical and essential) to her which is fairly traumatic both for her and us. We started about 6 weeks ago and have had ups and downs with it sad
Just before the school hols she had some kids yoga and also resilient kids (the school programme) and this has seemed to give her some really good ideas on getting rid of the bad/negative thoughts etc and concentrating on breathing etc. We live in a very rural area so no access to yoga classes or the like and i'm afraid its not something i've ever done either.
Am thinking of a book (read either together or dd2 on her own) that would enable us to learn/explore some calming/soothing/reassuring techniques that we could practice.
Any suggestions would be really welcome! cheers smile

2marys Tue 18-Oct-11 22:44:32

not sure whether it's the sort of thing you are looking for as it's a story book and it's very old fashioned, but have you thought about The Secret Garden - just reread off kindle and was surprised to realise how much of it is about positive thinking (where you plant a rose my lad/ a thistle cannot grow) and deep breathing preferably good old rural yorkshire air and gently increasing exercise, and Mary, about 9, grows prettier and Colin gets well. and it's the time of year to plant some bulbs too, which they could both do, possibly in pots or ground? to make their secret garden/s? might be a good bed time story anyway.

HTH

PotteringAlong Tue 18-Oct-11 22:51:54

I don't know if it's what you mean but I use guided fantasy with pupils at school sometimes - there's lots on the web if you google

cory Wed 19-Oct-11 00:11:22

Warning though: the Secret Garden can be a tough one for children with an incurable condition and/or whose diagnosis has been doubted by medicals, as it is all about how Colin is ill because he is overindulged and gets cured through positive thinking.

VixAM Thu 20-Oct-11 19:48:17

The Tear Thief would be good if it's about letting emotions go - it's all about a magical creature who steals tears and explains to the girl why the genuine tears are the most precious of all.
If the issue is about being different, you could also look at "The Boy who grew Flowers" (think that that's going to be in the sale next month!)
There's also The Gift which portrays the cycle of life in a subtle way, and explores birth, death, love and the importance of family and friends.
By the way, they also do a yoga book for parents and kids.
www.watfordbarefootbooks.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now