Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime stories for 2 year old and 6 year old?

(5 Posts)
SunnilyEnough Tue 18-Oct-11 12:26:02

Any good suggestions for stories that work for both of them? I'm usually at home by myself with both boys in the evening and read to them together - starting to find it a challenge to find books that are interesting for both of them; ie. not too grown up for the 2yo and not too childish for the 6yo.

Any ideas?!

Takver Tue 18-Oct-11 14:18:28

That's hard - maybe some of the old ones like

Gobbolino the Witches Cat
The Little Wooden Horse
My Naughty Little Sister

Or could you read to one then the other? Maybe your 6 y/o could listen to an audio book while you read to the 2 y/o then you could read to him after?

Thzumbazombiewitch Tue 18-Oct-11 14:21:20

Giraffes can't Dance - is that too babyish for a 6yo?
Paddington Bear or Olga da Polga might work, although maybe a bit much for the 2yo
Thomas the tank Engine books - again, might be a bit too much for the 2yo but maybe not (I think DS was 3 before he really started to get into them)

2marys Tue 18-Oct-11 22:51:27

agree my naughty little sister. the first laura ingalls wilder - little house in the big woods. madeleine - again, not a gender problem at that age. At the easier end, the gruffalo is good, also probably ferdinand the bull, and why not get the the older one to read aloud the nicer easier beatrix potters and hairy mclairy

SunnilyEnough Wed 19-Oct-11 09:51:32

Thanks for these, I'll check them out. We have all the Julia Donaldson books and they both like those - maybe I just need to try and do one Gruffalo-type book together, and then a chapter book with the older one, if 2yo will play a bit by himself. (Worth a try!)

We're in Austria, so 6yo has only just started school and is only just starting to learn to read, so he can't read anything aloud yet. I like the idea though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now