Talk

Advanced search

Magic treehouse,captain underpants,dinosaur cove,Oliver moon,Mr majeika,beast quest, all done. what next?

(22 Posts)
everpuzzled Thu 13-Oct-11 14:53:57

For just turned 7 year old ds to read to himself?

Thanks.

stealthsquiggle Thu 13-Oct-11 14:54:38

Mr Gum?

Takver Thu 13-Oct-11 15:00:27

Astrosaurs
Mr Gum

Takver Thu 13-Oct-11 15:00:58

And Astrosaurs Academy (slightly easier read than main Astrosaurs series)

MollyintheMoon Thu 13-Oct-11 15:04:55

Enid Blyton

everpuzzled Thu 13-Oct-11 15:05:58

I bought the 1st Mr Gum but thought some of the humour would be lost on him so decided to hold off til he can fully appreciate how bizarre it is.

Off to check out astrosaurs.

He enjoyed flat Stanley too forgot about those and he didn't really like horrid Henry.

stealthsquiggle Thu 13-Oct-11 15:06:26

and there are the ones by the same author as astrosaurs - something about space cows (I thought they were awful, but DS found them laugh-out-loud funny)

Also Jack Stalwart

everpuzzled Thu 13-Oct-11 15:07:47

Molly would you recommend any specific blyton books?

stealthsquiggle Thu 13-Oct-11 15:08:45

Try him on Mr Gum, OP, he may surprise you - DS took his into school and his teacher read it to the class - and then looked at me distinctly hmm because they were all literally rolling around laughing.

"Chapter x: Mr Gum has a piece of toast

Mr Gum had a piece of toast

<<end of chapter>>"

DS still finds that hilarious...

stealthsquiggle Thu 13-Oct-11 15:09:35

DS hates Horrid Henry too - I think the character reminds him too much of people who pick on him at school sad

ReaperView Thu 13-Oct-11 15:11:54

Cows In Action (the space cows mentioned above) Astrosaurs and Roald Dahl have all gone down well in our house.

DS1 (9 now) is into Diary Of A Wimpy Kid and Harry Potter at the mo.

alarkaspree Thu 13-Oct-11 15:19:15

We are in the US so I'm not sure how common these books are in the UK but my 7 y-o dd loves Stink and Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald. Also Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows, which has girls as protagonists so he might not be so keen, but they're very funny.

The shorter Roald Dahls - Magic Finger, Fantastic Mr Fox, Dd's favourite is the BFG although it's longer.

She likes Jigsaw Jones and Cam Jansen, both child detective series.

So far she has most enjoyed the secret seven Enid Blyton books.

And she's now reading Harry Potter - just coming to the end of book three and I've told her she will have to wait for a couple of years for book four as it gets too dark for her I think.

MollyintheMoon Thu 13-Oct-11 15:20:13

There's just so many!

The Five Find-Outers, The Adventurous Four, The Secret Seven, all the Adventure series, Mister Meddle...........

My 8 year old nephew has been working his way through her back catalogue.

everpuzzled Thu 13-Oct-11 16:20:33

Stealth, cows in space seems an odd enough concept to only appeal to kids. I'll have a try with Mr Gum. Heartbreaking the reason your ds isn't a fan of horrid Henry.

Molly, I'll check them all out. I only ever read faraway tree as a kid so I'm a blyton novice.

Reaper I'll bear those in mind for next couple of years.

Alarka I'll have a look on amazon they seem to sell American titles. I saw a Judy moody film advertised so maybe that'll get his attention.

Takver Thu 13-Oct-11 18:25:34

I thought Cows in Action was quite funny blush DD had the Cows in Action joke book too . . .

wearymum200 Thu 13-Oct-11 20:03:14

DS1 loves the Slime Squad (also written by Astrosaurs' Steve Cole), though I am not keen personally. Gormy Ruckles. Superpowers; maybe Horrid Histories? Creaky castle.

bran Thu 13-Oct-11 20:10:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everpuzzled Thu 13-Oct-11 20:22:47

Takver I'm in no position to judge. I'm most intrigued by them now.

Bran he has read some graphic novels and liked them I hadn't thought of getting more, great idea.

Wearymum lots of things to go google, cheers.

Appuskidu Thu 13-Oct-11 20:35:33

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Mr Gum
Jack Stalwart
Diamond Brothers
Jeremy Strong
Skulduggery Pleasant
HorribelHistories/science

SecretSpi Fri 14-Oct-11 18:05:27

My son loved a series of books by John Dougherty - Zeus on the Loose, Zeus to the rescue - and there's a new one.
Very funny - short and nicely illustrated.

bran Fri 14-Oct-11 19:45:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretSpi Fri 14-Oct-11 21:45:12

Hope you and DS enjoy it, bran - having to sacrifice a packet of Roast Ox crisps to a Greek god appealed to my sense of humour and DS's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now