Talk

Advanced search

German poetry for children

(4 Posts)
ZZZenAgain Tue 04-Oct-11 15:06:06

can anyone recommend a nice anthology of poetry in German for children? For dd who just turned 11 and is fluent in German, likes poems. Looking for a classical anthology really but not too adult.

SecretSpi Fri 07-Oct-11 12:56:45

This looks quite good - poetry from the last 400 years:
http://www.amazon.de/Zauberwort-schönsten-Gedichte-Kinder-Jahrhunderten/dp/3401065637/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317988385&sr=1-9

My son was 11 in July and German is also his first language! Does your dd read in English and German?

ZZZenAgain Fri 07-Oct-11 14:11:04

Thank you! That looks really nice. I've ordered it. Some of the poets I have never heard of but it has the ones I had in mind too.

Yes, dd reads vociferously in English and in German. It is sometimes hard, isn't it, to find enough interesting books to keep them going in both languages? She says she likes both languages equally, just prefers if it is possible, to read the books in the original language rather than a German author translated into English and v.v.

She first learnt to read German at school and once that was underway, I taught her to read English at home and made sure we read both every day in the beginning when she was getting the hang of it. Now I am less inolved in it all but she does still read a mixture of both.

In German atm she likes the Akademie der Abenteuer series. In the past, she read nearly everything from Thomas Brezina and is generally a Krimi fan. What does your ds like to read?

SecretSpi Fri 07-Oct-11 16:47:28

I suppose because it's his first language, ds prefers to read in German, especially if it's a longer book. He is just finishing off the last Harry Potter in German. The purist part of me would rather he read it in the original English but then again, I'm just happy he's reading rather than playing with his iPod the whole day!

Die Drei ??? was a great favourite and he still reads them - can't believe how many of those books there are! He's also keen on Alex Rider and Young Bond - in English or in German.

Whereabouts are you? We're near Frankfurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now