Talk

Advanced search

Dawkins The magic Of Reality

(2 Posts)
crankingup Mon 03-Oct-11 22:55:31

Anyone seen this/read it yet?

I've just bought it for use with my kids as they love science & history. What I have read about it and seen on the online preview made it look interesting and accessible to children although I often find reading Dawkins a bit like being shouted at. I was about to buy it as a present for another similar child but then noticed on the online preview that it had a chapter on the "God Delusion". I'm happy for my kids to read this kind of stuff but bailed out to give it to another as I think mostly people are very sensitive about this kind of stuff. Am I just being overly delicate?

piprabbit Mon 03-Oct-11 23:01:34

I've bought it for DD - I've read the first couple of chapters and am finding it very accessible, interesting and enjoyable.

It is very clear from the outset what Dawkins views on religion are - so if you are not 100% sure about the beliefs of the family you are planning to give it to, I'd suggest leaving it. So far, the chapters I have read have lumped religious belief in with belief in Pixies, magicians and dodgy pyschics - so lots of potential for offence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now