Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chapter books for me to read to Dd aged nearly 5

(14 Posts)
Greythorne Sun 25-Sep-11 23:10:13

We sill read somepicture books (Fancy Nancy is a fave) but DD loves "grown up chapter books" ( as she calls them).

We have read and enjoyed

Ballet shoes
Charlie and choc factory
Pheonix and carpet
Five children and it

As well as all the Delphie books and a lot of (other - you didn't think Darcy Bussell really wrote the Delphie books!) Linda Chapman (stardust spirits)

Any recommendations? I would like to move away from Linda Chapman as they are very formulaic.

Takver Mon 26-Sep-11 08:55:52

Oldies-but-goodies
Little House in the Big Woods
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
Milly Molly Mandy

Newer books
Anna Hibiscus by Atinuke (would def. recommend these, fantastic for that age)
Astrosaurs (Steve Cole - if she likes dinosaurs and/or astronauts!)
Mr Gum (can't remember author name, dd didn't like these so much but they are really popular)

themightyskim Mon 26-Sep-11 09:34:54

the worst witch? I loved them, and also the chronicles of narnia, enid blyton? old fashioned I know but the faraway tree was very sweet

beautifulbooks Mon 26-Sep-11 18:53:47

Message deleted

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Tue 27-Sep-11 12:42:21

Ramona
I second Milly Molly Mandy
There's a sequel to Five Children and It - something about an amulet (possibly just "the story of the amulet")
Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair and Faraway Tree series. Mr. Pinkwhistle, Mr. Tweddle (or is it Twiddle?)

wearymum200 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:50:44

Pippi Longstocking, My Naughty Little Sister, E nesbit's: Enchanted castle, Story of the amulet, the Wouldbegoods. Mrs Pepperpot, Paddington (the original ones were chapter books)

mankyscotslass Tue 27-Sep-11 20:53:22

I started reading the Little house on the Prairie Series to DD when she was about this age - she is reading them all again herself now.

Also the Faraway Tree stories.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory, James and the Giant Peach, the BFG.

Grockle Tue 27-Sep-11 20:57:37

DS(6) loves The Famous Five & Secret Seven

Also things like Flat Stanley, the Shrinking of Treehorn.

We tried the Faraway Tree a while ago but he didn't like them but will try again cos I love them

We also read the American Magic Tree House series

mollyscarlettmum Tue 27-Sep-11 21:03:14

My daughter loves anything by Roald Dahl, the Twits and Matilda are good ones for this age, also George's Marvellous Medicine.
At the minute she really loves the Rainbow Fairies, Dancing Fairies etc which I could personally do without but they keep her happy!

KarenInglis Fri 30-Sep-11 09:18:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

ElderberrySyrup Fri 30-Sep-11 09:25:42

Pippi Longstocking beats everything else IME.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 02-Oct-11 17:34:16

Personally I think that Mr Gum is a little too advanced for a 4 year old. I've just read them to DS, he loves them but he is 7.

DD is just 4 and loves those flipping Rainbow Fairies. Think I'll try her with Pippi Longstocking too smile.

Grandhighpoohba Sun 02-Oct-11 17:49:28

Jeremiah in the Dark Woods was a favourite here, as was Little Wolf's Book of Badness.

lostlady Sun 02-Oct-11 17:59:07

My little girl loved the Naughty Little Sister books (and I liked them too smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now