Talk

Advanced search

Mrs Pepperpot books

(15 Posts)
pleasenap Tue 20-Sep-11 14:12:16

I've been trying to find a book that I read as a pre-school/infant schooler in early 70s. It had a woman who was really small and got lost in a fridge/freezer of a supermarket and ate peas. I used to love it but have no idea of the title. Anyone remember this book (needle in haystack!) and is this a Mrs Pepperpot book??

ldt87 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:15:55

I dont know about the book you read, but my girls have got mrs pepperpot books and they love them! I think they are really nice books x

Fennel Thu 22-Sep-11 10:11:36

We have Mrs Pepperpot but I don't remember getting lost in the fridge/freezer of a supermarket. It seems unlikely given that Mrs Pepperpot is quite an old Norwegian book (IIRC), I'd guess pre-war from the clothes and the way she boils her husband things like plain potatoes for lunch in one of our stories. They probably didn't have freezers and supermarkets when it was written.

aftereight Thu 22-Sep-11 10:15:19

I'm not sure if you are thinking if Mrs Pepperpot, but you could well be. I read Mrs PP books in the 70s and DD loves her 4 Mrs PP books (bought as a set from RedHouse iirc). She is 6.

withLainintheWired Thu 22-Sep-11 19:43:05

I think it is Mrs Pepperpot. Written in 1956 according to Wikipedia!

Tewkespeggy Thu 22-Sep-11 19:57:21

it is mrs pepperpot. i have very fond nostalgic feelings for it and bought it to read with my daughter, but soon stopped. terribly unpc and has lots of kids wandering off with random adults. olaf peterson? give it a go, but read it yourself first

Fennel Thu 22-Sep-11 20:21:30

It is a bit weird when you read it now isn't it? My dds have enjoyed it but I find it a bit much (especially when the husband tells her off for burning his boiled potatoes).

I suppose kids wander off with random adults in all the best books, it's a staple of children's literature.

pleasenap Thu 22-Sep-11 21:09:38

ooohhh...thanks for the replies! I just bought an early Mrs pepperpot on Ebay! Hope it won't be a case of better the nostalgic memory than the reality read as an adult!

cory Fri 23-Sep-11 09:23:19

<goes off at a tangent>

Boiling potatoes for lunch wouldn't set a story pre-war in Scandinavia: it's the sort of thing my relatives would still do.

savoycabbage Fri 23-Sep-11 09:26:24

Are you sure it's not 'the little girl and the tiny doll'

It's about a doll that was dropped in the freezer at the shops and a girl saw her so she started to make her clothes and brought them in to her. The doll plays tennis with frozen peas and an ice-cream spoon.

Malcontentinthemiddle Fri 23-Sep-11 09:27:53

Oh yes, The Little Girl and The Tiny Doll - Edward Ardizzone, wasn't it? I loved that!

DeWe Fri 23-Sep-11 14:37:19

I was going to suggest The litle Girl and the Tiny Doll. I used to make tiny dolls clothes and hope I'd find a doll in a freezer too!

messybessie Fri 23-Sep-11 14:41:25

I also had Chilly Billy, about the tiny man who lived in the ice box of the fridge and turned the light on for you grin

pleasenap Fri 23-Sep-11 18:22:54

AAAHAHAHAH.....that sounds like it. I'd completely forgotten about the little clothes. But it rings a bell. Off to look for it. Thanks soooo much!!!

pleasenap Fri 23-Sep-11 21:46:45

That's it!!! Can't believe it. Thrilled. Thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now